TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2013, 7:23 PM   #1
Ray

I'd like to do a little better on UHF

Here's my current setup:

Vertically stacked Antennas Direct 91XG above Winegard YA-1713 on 18 foot mast.
Joined with UVSJ routed to Winegard AP-8275 preamp.
50 feet of RG-6 coax with grounding block inserted.
Panasonic TC-L32C22 television.

The YA-1713 antenna is oriented to 219 degees for the two VHF stations I like to get, while the 91XG antenna is oriented to 263 degrees for UHF stations. I've played around with the bearings, and these seem to be about right.

The TV Fool report is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddaf003fde57f.

With the YA-1713 oriented to 219 degrees, I get a good strong signal on real channels 8 (KSBW) and 13 (KCBA). So for VHF, I'm quite satisfied.

I'd like to get a little better coverage on UHF. Mostly I would like to get PBS. CBS would be nice too. With the 91XG oriented to 263 degrees, I pick up real channels 31 (KSMS) 15 (KBSV), 14 (KTNC), 29 (KPIX,CBS), 19 (KOFY), 30 (KQED,PBS), and 45 (KBCW). However, reception varies greatly. Sometimes all of these channels come in well, but probably more than half the time I get about 20% signal strength indicated in the on-screen signal meter. I seem to need about 50% for reliable viewing. I haven't had the 91XG long enough to tell for sure, but I think it might be related to atmospheric conditions.

So where do I go from here? I'm thinking of the following possibilities:

1) Play around with antenna spacing. Right now the 91XG is 37 inches above the YA-1713.

2) Adjust the tilt of the 91XG. Right now it's just a little up from horizontal

3) Use a higher mast. I didn't specify a height for the TF Fool signal analysis. Eighteen feet sounds short, but I'm at the top of a small local hill.

The mast is inserted into a steel pipe driven into the ground and attached to the fascia board of the roof in a manner that leaves the mast free to be rotated by hand standing on the ground. Much higher and I might have to use guy wires, but my wife doesn't really like the idea of guy wires.

If I move the preamplifier up, I will need a longer run of cable. Am I correct in thinking that the insertion loss from another F-connector to add a few more feet is nothing to be concerned about, or should I buy a single longer length?

4) Rotate the YA-1713 to pick up PBS on channel 9. Note however, this requires me to rescan for available channels every time I rotate the antenna, since my TV wipes out previously found channels every time it does a scan, and there's no way to manually enter digital channels. If I replaced the TV with one that doesn't lose previously found channels when it does a scan, does anyone know what this feature is called so that I could look for it?

5) Add a second VHF antenna oriented to pick up PBS on channel 9. How would I join the inputs from two VHF antennas?

6) Better tuner? We just bought this TV and I don't like to spend much on this kind of thing, but is this a possibility and what would I look for?

Any other possibilities that I might consider? What would you try?

I hope that I was clear. If not, please ask, and thanks in advance for any advice.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2013, 1:16 AM   #2
teleview

The tvfool radar report plot is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Please make tvfool radar plot with the antenna height at 25 feet above ground and make a tvfool radar plot report with the antenna height that you think is above ground.
Old 9-Mar-2013, 5:30 AM   #3
Ray

Twenty-five feet above ground level:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda3ef301b2d2

Eighteen feet above ground level (current height of UHF antenna):

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3ddda402203a344

Thanks for taking a look at this.
Old 9-Mar-2013, 6:58 AM   #4
teleview

Higher antenna height and less to no signal blockage is the Key to your reception situation/location.

25 Feet is stronger Tv reception signal strengths.

Going higher then 25 feet will make reception more stronger.

Here are some antenna mounts for a higher antenna height with no guy wires.

http://www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html.

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe300.aspx.

Aim the YA1713 VHF high band antenna at about 250 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

---->Use only one 91XG and aim it at about 240 degree magnetic compass direction.<----

Combine the YA1713 and the one 91XG with the UVSJ and connect the AP8275.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , multipath/reflecting , absorbing , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the antennas at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html

Last edited by teleview; 5-Apr-2013 at 3:05 AM.
Old 9-Mar-2013, 1:12 PM   #5
Ray

Thanks. I'll try some extra height and let you know how it goes. I got a ten foot length of mast at the thrift store yesterday and can try this out temporarily as long as there is no wind.

The problem I have with my TV is that a single rescan is essentially the same as a double rescan in that it wipes out all memory. So say I scan and find channels 8 and 13. Now I want to watch channel 9. So I rotate the antenna toward 9 and do a rescan. Now 9 is on the channel list, but 8 and 13 are missing, requiring me to rotate and scan again if I want to watch channel 8.

Edit:

Actually, I had a look outside and think I'll wait a bit before trying the height increase. The mast is adjacent to a large tree. I can clear it just barely when I increase the height, but then this places a large branch with a dense growth of twigs into the signal path. I have a tree guy coming out to do some work around here, but this won't be until after the oaks have budded out at this elevation so he can easily tell what's dead and what's not. This will be just be easier after he's done. Probably three weeks or so. I'll post my findings then.

Last edited by Ray; 9-Mar-2013 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Update for delay in trying height
Old 11-Mar-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Ray

Looks promising

I was going to wait for the tree surgeon, but I got impatient and raised the antennas by 26 inches this weekend. Standing on the roof with a pole pruner/saw, I was able to cut away the twigs in the signal path. I'm getting about 74% signal strength on the PBS station. I'm sure that this will not be maintained, but I don't think I've ever seen it this high.

I'll try some more height later, but this will require some reconfiguration.

Two neighbors have expressed interest in improved reception since they've seen me working out there.

Last edited by Ray; 11-Mar-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 5-Apr-2013, 1:27 AM   #7
Ray

So the tree surgeon came out, trimmed some dead wood and problematic branches, and took out a tree in decline. This wasn't the reason for removing the tree, but as a bonus, it may have been partially obscuring the signal path. The UHF antenna is at 20 feet. That doesn't sound very high, but the roof has only a two in twelve slope, and is at a higher elevation at the surroundings. Looking at the antenna from the back yard, my reaction is 'That's a seriously high antenna.' I don't think I or SWMBO would like for it to be any higher.

Anyway, the results are very good. PBS (KQED), which is mostly what I wanted, comes in reliably. I'm even a lot of the time getting KCSM, a community college station 120 miles away.

So it seems that elevation helps, and probably removal of vegetation that may be in the way.
Old 5-Apr-2013, 4:03 AM   #8
teleview

If one measures out 20 feet or even 30 feet on the ground , it does not look like much.

And Yes take that 20 or 30 feet and put it up vertical , and it looks like its Waaaaay up high.

_________

Your location is one of a small number of places around the USA that due to the transmitters on high mountains and the lay of the land , no other higher mountains between your location and transmitters.

Your location has Reliable , LOS= Line Of Sight reception , even at Plus , 80+ , 90+ , 100 + , miles.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Apr-2013 at 5:36 PM.