TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2013, 5:39 PM   #1
Mark on Vashon

Reception at the Barn

Hi, I live in a 1910 barn remodeled into a 3-level home. The barn has a metal roof. One end faces almost due NE (39 degrees magnetic), where it appears on my radar chart I have a host of signals. The living space is on the SW end of the barn and has many windows facing in that direction. I have easy access to attic space, but my landlord doesn't want an external antenna. An antenna in the attic would allow a simple routing of coax into the living room where my TV is (ground floor). The attic is fairly open and 3 floors high, and the NE facade is wood siding with no insulation. The roof to the SE and NW is metal. Suggestions? Here is my radar report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda6d96b62d5f
Mark on Vashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2013, 8:44 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

An attic antenna may work despite the metal roof, if the antenna can aim through the wood facade. The only way to know is to try. Keep the antenna as far from the metal as possible.

An Antennacraft HBU-44 or HBU-55 would be larger than needed if mounted outside in the clear, but if you mount in the attic, the extra gain and directivity will be in your favor.

I grew up on Vashon. There's still a lot of tall Douglas Fir and Madronas to contend with... will you be aiming through trees? If so, all the more reason to err toward the larger antenna.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2013, 9:54 PM   #3
Mark on Vashon

Thanks for the quick reply! This thing is 10 feet long by nearly 6 feet wide! So okay, I have room. How do I aim it properly? And yes, I have trees, a couple of Douglas Firs and a thin grove of Alder between the facade and the horizon. Do I need any other components besides the antenna and a piece of co-ax? All the beams and piers in the attic are wood of course, any suggestions on how to mount?
Mark on Vashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2013, 1:42 AM   #4
teleview

Aim the antenna at about 20 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Old 20-Feb-2013, 3:58 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

If the antenna is supplied with a matching transformer, then coax is all you need to get the signal to the tuner.

I'm assuming the TV/tuner was built after mid 2007... and is equipped with an ATSC capable tuner. (ATSC is the digital standard used for OTA broadcasting and is not the same as used in digital cable systems. You need to set the tuner to use 'antenna' or 'air' mode, not cable. Then, most TVs will require a scan for channels.) If you have an older analog only set, you'll need a converter.

For an attic install, you can mount on a J-pole or use a section of 1-1/4" EMT conduit. I've even seen antennas hung in attics with nylon or polyester cord.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote