TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2014, 4:50 PM   #1
cshaw

Help with reception east of seattle

Before I discovered this web site and realized how little I knew about antennas, I installed a Clearstream 2V antenna from Antennas Direct. It is attached to the side of my house on the second floor. I can orient it to get decent reception for ABC, NBC, and CBS but not Fox or PBS. Likewise when I optimize for Fox and PBS, I don't get ABC, NBC, or CBS. My house has several large fir trees nearby with some gaps between them. Any advice is appreciated.

Here is my map:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2ff0045a553b

Thanks.

chris
cshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2014, 5:04 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I can orient it to get decent reception for ABC, NBC, and CBS but not Fox or PBS. Likewise when I optimize for Fox and PBS, I don't get ABC, NBC, or CBS.
That doesn't make much sense, all those stations are in the same direction except for several translators on W. Tiger Mtn. The only way it would make sense is if the antenna is in a particularly impaired location such that the direct signal path is blocked by both your terrain and the trees and you have to aim off-axis to get a reflected signal.

Did you test your reception with the antenna in that spot before mounting it? There's a really good reason that all our outdoor installation instructions have that advice in large red letters.

Try different spots using temporary mounts before drilling any more holes. Look for the best location that offers the clearest line of sight towards downtown and Queen Anne Hill.

You have VERY substantial hill in front of you, don't be surprised if you end up having to go with a very much larger antenna in the long run. You may need two separate antennas mounted in separated locations, one for UHF and one for VHF.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2014, 5:18 PM   #3
cshaw

I did try numerous locations before mounting, however they were all roughly in the same area. I may be able to find a spot further away from the current area that has a more direct shot through the trees. I was also thinking about the 2 antenna approach, and may do that if I can't find a single antenna solution.
cshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2014, 6:17 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Based on your rough coordinates, I'm familiar with the area between Woodinville and Duval. I concur with ADTech's observations... My experience with the tall Douglas Fir, Cedar and other trees in hill top areas with LOS path conditions has seen the need to use the largest available antennas in some cases.

The combination of an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 are not overkill in my experience.

Be ready to mount as high as safety and budget allow. And as already cautioned, test before drilling.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote