TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Apr-2014, 1:48 AM   #1
Thomas_e102

Hayward WI new home NW Wisconsin

I have no idea what to do with my new home. Home roof is 30 ft and a lot of tall trees. Here is my report. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b944eaecd7fff any help wold be great thanks.
Thomas_e102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Thomas,

Looking at your report, I am not encouraged. Even though your report only resolves to a block level it provides a glimpse that you don't have many signals at your disposal. K31GH (FOX - Duluth) and WLEF (PBS) are of reasonable strength for reliable reception albeit in different orientations.

The Duluth broadcasts however I wouldn't hold out much hope for. You'll notice those signals have NM values of -2 or below. Most often, if you have signals that are down about 8 to 6 NM on the positive side is the bleeding edge of reliable reception. Signals this weak are right at reception threshold and atmospheric variations can cause them to drop out periodically.

What would I do in your situation? You could spend several hundred dollars, build a highly aggressive system, but at the end you may not have satisfactory reception.

If you want PBS and FOX I can recommend a reasonably easy system for both those signals. NBC, CBS and ABC - I honestly in your shoes instead of spending a lot of money and having intermittent reception of those signals - I'd just go with the dish.

Hate to say it, but there it is.

SS
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 5:34 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Would you consider a tower? If so, run another TV Fool report using the tower height to see if the conditions improve. Use the map tool to position the pointer at the actual proposed antenna location.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 6:34 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
----
WLEF-Tv , --->Digital<--- UHF channel 36 , PBS.

K31GH , --->Analog<--- UHF channel 31 , FOX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KQDS-TV.

Are easy to receive.

Above the Peak of the Roof install a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

U4000 , UHF antenna aimed at about 326 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------------

A antenna system amplifier is not required for , 1 , 2 , 3 Tv's connected.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

--------------

The Tv stations at , 170 , 329 , 330 , degree magnetic compass direction are Very Weak Signal Strength , have 2 Edge Path obstructions=hills and mountains and are 72+ miles distant.

Reliable reception with a Big Antenna and a preamp , at 30 feet antenna height will most likely not happen.

---------------

Also the provided tvfool report says , resolved to block street level only and may not represent the actual reception situation.

To see if signal strengths improve with higher antenna heights and the exact location of reception.

Please make and post with the Exact address , 4 more Tvfool reports , 40 , 60 , 80 , 100 , feet antenna heights above ground.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Apr-2014 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 3-Apr-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Thomas_e102

Hello Stephane. Thanks from the info. I would be happy with just fox and pbs. What would be your setup for me?
Thomas_e102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2014, 6:48 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
----
Can also check out this service.

http://www.aereo.com
Old 4-Apr-2014, 7:57 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

If you want to try for FOX and PBS, based on the TV Fool report in you opening post, try one of the following:

A - A Winegard HD7698P + an Antennas Direct PA-18 preamplifier.

B - An Antennacraft HBU-55 + an Antennas Direct PA-18 preamplifier.

C - An Antennas Direct DB8E + an Antennacraft Y10713 + an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier.

Again, I'd also investigate higher mounting elevations.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Apr-2014, 7:35 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
----

K31GH UHF Analog Tv channel 31 FOX , has a signal strength of 35.7NM(dB).

WLEF-TV UHF Digital channel 36 PBS , has a signal strength of 22.7 NM(dB).

Both are easy to receive with the U4000 UHF antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Apr-2014 at 4:31 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-Apr-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
teleview

+=>
----
The reception of the Weak Signal Strength group of Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels to the North West can be - Tested.

Aim a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU55 antenna at about 330 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

---------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G201 preamplifier.

For Testing of reception have only 1 Tv connected , No splitters.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Apr-2014 at 4:34 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.