TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Apr-2010, 8:59 PM   #1
bobbysteeles

Outdoor Antenna Help

Hello, I have recently moved and am trying to avoid the added expense of cable/satellite tv. I am hoping someone could give me some advice as to the best antenna to install on my roof in order to receive the most channels. There is currently an old antenna attached to the chimney at about 25 feet off ground level. I would probably just replace this one. Here is my address in case that will help you guys to determine which antenna would work best:

3116 S County Line Rd
Johnstown, OH 43031

If you google map the property you can see that the house sits about 30 feet from some woods in case that would affect reception. The chimney/antenna is on the on the corner of the house nearest the woods.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
bobbysteeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2010, 1:06 AM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
The Columbus stations are all about 20 miles from you, and are all on UHF, which will make this fairly easy. Replace what you have with a 4 bay UHF antenna aimed 225 degrees, as measured by your compass. You should install all new RG-6u coaxial cable to replace what is there, and be sure to ground the coax cable where it enters the house. If you plan to run multiple TV sets, you will need an amplified splitter like a Channel Master CM 341x, where x= the even number of TV sets that you will use.

Good 4 bay antennas include the Channel Master 4221HD, the Winegard HD-4400, the AntennasDirect DB-4 an the AntennaCraft U-4000

Here is a good installation guide:
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/AntInstallGuide.pdf
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
bobbysteeles

Thanks for your help. Any idea what channels I can expect to get?? I used the tool on the website but I didn't really understand it.

Thanks again.
bobbysteeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
With the antenna that I suggested, you'll see all the major Columbus stations: ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX and CW, plus some low-powered foreign-language, home shopping and religious channels.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote