TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jul-2014, 9:07 PM   #21
teleview

+=>

Then I will reword it.

Some or all of the componets can be bad.

--------------------------------------

Trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , are Not Kind or Nice to Tv signals.

The closer , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , are to the antenna , the signal path , the direction of reception , to the antenna the more disrupted the reception will be.

The more distance , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , are away from the antenna in the direction/s of reception , the better the reception will be.

-------------------------------------

Moving the antenna up and down to find a better location for reception ,

Changing the antenna location to a better location for reception ,

and changing aim direction can all help with reception.

--------------------------------------

Can also install a , http://www.antennacraft.net .

Y10-7-13 VHF high band antenna.

VHF channels 7 thru 13 high band antenna for reception of.

WBRE-DT , VHF high band channel 11 , NBC.

WYOU-DT , VHF high band channel 13 , CBS.

Aim the , Y10-7-13 antenna at about 267 degree magnetic compass direction.

-------------------

Antennas Direct sells a , UHF / VHF Antennas Combiner that is used to combine the ,

DB8e UHF antenna and the Y10-7-13 VHF antenna to one 1 coax that goes to the Tv.

Connect the DB8e UHF antenna to the UHF connection of the combiner.

Connect the Y10-7-13 VHF antenna to the VHF connection of combiner.

The remaining connection of the combiner goes to the Tv.

-------------------

The Y10-7-13 antenna is installed about 3 feet below the DB8e antenna on the same antenna mast/pipe.

-------------------

Can also Test reception , without and with a preamplifier.

Use a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

10G201 preamplifier.

The preamp can be connected to the remaining connection of the combiner that goes to the Tv.
Old 30-Jul-2014, 12:09 AM   #22
Billiam

Digital signals are very difficult to work with especially if they are weak. Currently I have a Antennacraft MXU 59 mounted 7 feet off the back patio at my apartment and if I position it a certain way I can receive every channel that is "gettable" on my TV Fool report. But move it a few inches and I can easily lose Ch. 63 and Ch. 19 even if I still have it pointed at the same compass heading.

Also, I swapped out the TV's and that has helped. I gave away a new Samsung to someone that gave me pretty reliable reception of the local signals and replaced it with my 4 year old Samsung. Lost signals with the same antenna and those that still come in are weaker. Tuner may be going bad. Then when I switched to a newer Insignia Tuner box suddenly every local channel and the two fringe come in fine again if the antenna is pointed in the right direction and located in the right spot.

I also have a small Insignia TV that I use as a computer monitor. That too works quite well and has a superior tuner to the Samsung TV's. Solid reception of all signals without having to rotate the antenna.

In a nutshell. Digital signals have a sweet spot of they are weak. Finding the right spot on your property is key. You may even need to use two separate antennas in separate spots just to get everything you would like. Use an AB switch if a rotor is not possible.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Two Bears

ADTech, thanks very much for your time and effort with that report. I am going up this weekend for the week, and will try to acquire the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier, then I guess the C5 antenna after that. Do you still recommend the C5?

I also found a reliable military compass (used by my brother in Viet Nam) and will point the antenna at 344 degrees and adjust from there.
One question I do have though is, Do you have to factor in the declination value for this adjustment also, or just aim it at 344 degrees?

Thanks again.
Two Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2014, 5:33 PM   #24
teleview

+=>

This a continuation of my post #21 in this thread.

Here are some ways to install antenna higher.

http://www.ronard.com/712.html.

ronard(712-50-120) , 10 foot roof top tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com.

----------------------------------

Free Standing , No guy wires , Light Weight Aluminum , Lay Over Towers.

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe300.aspx.

----------------------------------

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch lengths of 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that makes good antenna mast/pipe , the price is low at about 12 dollars.