TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Sep-2010, 4:10 PM   #21
Billiam

TV signals are very quirky. Example:

Here at my home when I first installed a Channel Bastard 4228 8 bay I only received about half of the signals in KC which are in the yellow zone. Then when I switched to a Antennacraft U8000 8 bay I received identical performance on the same channels while the others were not there. Even after adding a pre amp not much difference.

But... I switched over to a Antennacraft MXU59 Yagi style antenna and suddenly every single channel in yellow came in. Adding a pre amp gave me a strong signal on every channel! And then two of my red zone signals also started to come in after pointing the antenna towards Columbia.

Now I am using a 91XG and currently testing two properly phased and coupled Channel Bastard 4221 HD antennas on the roof. This configuration at a few feet lower than the 91XG is actually giving me a antenna with more rejection of side and backside signals as well as slightly more gain than the 91XG.

My guess is that the 91XG or a cheaper Yagi like the MXU59 should do the trick for you.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2010, 4:45 PM   #22
goosemasterkl

Getting local network channels

Billiam; what could I do to be able to keep my ABC channel on HI-VHF? Thanks
goosemasterkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2010, 4:49 PM   #23
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemasterkl View Post
Billiam; what could I do to be able to keep my ABC channel on HI-VHF? Thanks
Tough question.

Can you add any more height to your antenna setup? Try rerunning TV Fool at your location with 25 and 30 foot heights to see if you'd see that Noise Margin (NM) which is currently at minus 0.9 can go into positive territory.

If it does, then adding a VHF antenna might do the trick. Perhaps stacking two Winegard YA 1713's would work. Not sure if one will work on such a weak signal even with a pre amp.
Old 25-Sep-2010, 4:53 PM   #24
Billiam

Another thought. After rereading your TV Fool report I had another idea.

It seems as though the weakest signals you wish to watch are on VHF. I've found the Winegard HD 7084 antenna has about the highest gain for VHF in all band antenna. Perhaps only the Channel Bastard 3671 has more gain but that is a monster in size. The 7084HD would cover your Ch. 5 in the lo VHF band and high band stuff as well. You could then use something like a Winegard AP 4800 VHF only pre amp and bypass a pre amp on UHF which this antenna should not need for the signals in green and yellow on the UHF band.
Old 25-Sep-2010, 5:27 PM   #25
No static at all

Given that you need a preamp to make the HD stacker work well tells me that it isn't enough antenna for your situation. The proper antenna(s) should be receiving the desired stations with no amplification to 1 TV (with 100 feet or less of coax cable).

On the cheap, I would first try the preamp suggested by Tigerbangs since the 8700 is likely being overwhelmed by the strong locals. Try a couple tweaks with height if you still have reliability issues. (Both higher & lower 6-12 inches)

If that doesn't provide satisfactory results, replace the stacker with the proven Winegard YA-1713 / 91XG combo. (Combine the 2 antennas with a UVSJ) You likely won't even need a preamp, but will still be able to use the HDP-269 if one is truly needed. You may still need the HLSJ with either scenario to help with VHF reliability.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2010, 5:36 PM   #26
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Given that you need a preamp to make the HD stacker work well tells me that it isn't enough antenna for your situation. The proper antenna(s) should be receiving the desired stations with no amplification to 1 TV (with 100 feet or less of coax cable).

On the cheap, I would first try the preamp suggested by Tigerbangs since the 8700 is likely being overwhelmed by the strong locals. Try a couple tweaks with height if you still have reliability issues. (Both higher & lower 6-12 inches)

If that doesn't provide satisfactory results, replace the stacker with the proven Winegard YA-1713 / 91XG combo. (Combine the 2 antennas with a UVSJ) You likely won't even need a preamp, but will still be able to use the HDP-269 if one is truly needed. You may still need the HLSJ with either scenario to help with VHF reliability.
Not sure that YA 1713 will work on such a weak signal. I have a Ch. 7 at 55 miles with a NM at 1.9 and a 2 edge signal and it only comes with my YA 1713 if I find a sweet spot on the mast and with a pre amp like the Titan 7777. Even then it breaks up a bit and the average signal is around 15 db which is not quite strong enough to lock consistently on my TV. I've found 15.5 or higher will lock the signal.

I purchased a HD 7084 because it has higher gain across the board on VHF hi signals. In fact it is a full 1.5 db higher gain on Ch. 7 than the YA 1713. I have not put it up yet but if it works better than the YA 1713 I'll let people know.
Old 25-Sep-2010, 6:08 PM   #27
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Not sure that YA 1713 will work on such a weak signal. I have a Ch. 7 at 55 miles with a NM at 1.9 and a 2 edge signal
Thanks Billiam,

I experienced decent reliablity on a weak channel 12 with a much lower NM than the OP's, so I would think the 1713 should do the trick.

I do agree that the 7084 would probably work somewhat better on VHF for you though. I've used the 7082 & find it's VHF gain to be quite good. (A little disappointing on UHF though)
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2010, 6:09 PM   #28
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Thanks Billiam,

I experienced decent reliablity on a weak channel 12 with a much lower NM than the OP's, so I would think the 1713 should do the trick.

I do agree that the 7084 would probably work somewhat better on VHF for you though. I've used the 7082 & find it's VHF gain to be quite good. (A little disappointing on UHF though)
I do have some trees in the vicinity and I think they may be the cause of some of my problems with the YA 1713 on Ch. 7.
Old 1-Oct-2010, 1:10 PM   #29
goosemasterkl

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362aa8a0b9896 Hey Guy's; I replaced the AP 8700 preamp with the HDP-269 preamp; my signal strength is approximately half of what it was on all channels. I haven't had time to do any tweaking of the Stacker antenna yet. What do anyone suggest for me to do now? Get the MXU59 or the 91 XG antenna? I'm getting a LITTLE frustrated at this thing. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!
goosemasterkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Oct-2010, 1:23 PM   #30
Billiam

I'd try the MXU59 first because it costs less than the 91XG. Both should give you every UHF channel from WAZE to WTVW.

I'd then try the YA-1713 in place of the Stacker for the VHF channels. If this configuration does not work then it seems to me there may be some kind of environmental problem in the vicinity that is impacting your signals.

Amp wise I'd go back to the one you were using originally because it gave you better performance. See if you can return the HDP-269 for a refund. Clearly you need the additional gain that the 8700 offers.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 3:07 PM   #31
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I'd try the MXU59 first because it costs less than the 91XG. Both should give you every UHF channel from WAZE to WTVW.

I'd then try the YA-1713 in place of the Stacker for the VHF channels. If this configuration does not work then it seems to me there may be some kind of environmental problem in the vicinity that is impacting your signals.

Amp wise I'd go back to the one you were using originally because it gave you better performance. See if you can return the HDP-269 for a refund. Clearly you need the additional gain that the 8700 offers.

Sorry, but that is completely wrong advice: If the preamp is properly installed, it should NOT adversely affect affect your signal strengths or TV reception: Digital signals need very little gain to be viable: more gain is NOT the answer. A preamplifier is only necessary to cover line and splitting losses in an antenna system: more than that is not only superfluous, but can cause other reception problems like overload.

I suspect that your issue comes from your ANTENNA, and not your preamp. The advice about it MX-59 is also wrong: it is NOT as good an antenna as the XG-91, and is almost as expensive. Solid Signal sells the XG-91 for $53.00. it sells the MX-59 for $46.00.

DUMP the Stacker and use a combination of an Winegard YA-1713 and an AntennasDirect XG-91, combine the signals using a Pico-Macom UVSJ, then go into the HDP-269.
Aim the antennas as you were directed, and your problem will be solved...
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2010, 4:24 PM   #32
Billiam

^^^While I agree that the antenna is the problem, I do know that at my location the MXU59 is giving me the same kind of results with my signals as the 91XG.

I'd say the OP should try them both and decide for himself. He should then make sure he can return the antenna he decides not to keep.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 10:44 PM   #33
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Now there is a waste of time, money and energy to no good end.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote