TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Feb-2011, 8:42 PM   #1
enzo

Windstorm brings opportunity, challenges

Hi all,

New to antennas. I've lived peacefully while not contently with the antenna that came with the house. Some background. Very rural setting, in a forest full of very tall trees. While the house sits on the highest terrain in the county, it is surrounded by 60ft trees. The roof peak is about 25 feet AGL. Here is my charts:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b9c941617f4fd7

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b9c969a2a034a0

The most watched channels, in order, are 7.1, 2.1, 4.1, 50.1, 56.1, and I don't know what happened to channel 9 which is a Canadian station, but I would like to get it again.

My current antenna is an old 1975 Zenith Chromatenna II which until 3 days ago, sat on top of a 15ft tripod with a CM9510 rotator to another 5 ft pole with the antenna on it. Total AGL was about 50 ft. Three guy wires tied to the roof kept it from blowing over. It runs to a JVI 25db amp via regular round cable cable, not the flat stuff. From there it goes to the basement where there are multiple splitters taking the signal to a jack in every room of the house. We only actually use 4 of them. ANYway, I haven't been up on the roof yet, but I suspect a screw or wire rusted on the windward guy wire, and down she came.

I've attached a picture of the mess.

Opportunity- Update anything? Channel 7.1 reception is not good, and it is one of the "top 3", and probably THE most watched channel in my house. Oh yeah, most of the signals that WE watch are at compass 120 degree. And the strong winds are an issue. The house is on the edge of a hill going down to a lake that is about 80 feet down. Lots of shear coming up the hill. I've put in the big screen, media center control, 8 channel surround yada yada and I wouldn't mind improving the signal. At times, pixel freeze happens on channel 7 and on some of the high UHF channels. We do get pretty good reception of the areas to the north, west, and south too without changing the antenna positioning, although we don't often watch them. Blacked out local football sometimes comes in from other cities 50 miles away so we like that.

So if it were you, in these circumstances, what would you do? Just re-raise the existing antenna, replace antenna or amp?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00311.JPG (137.8 KB, 507 views)

Last edited by enzo; 18-Feb-2011 at 8:45 PM.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 , Here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2011, 4:13 AM   #3
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

It looks like the Tv stations you will like to receive are to the south east. I recommend a Winegard HD7697P Tv antenna and a ChannelMaster CM3414 , four way distribution amplifier. The Correct way to do the RG-6 coax wiring is the RG-6 antenna wire goes to the input of the distribution amplifier and each output of the distribution amplifier goes to a Tv. Having multipul spliters will reduce the signal to the point of not being watchable. I recommend NEW RG-6 coax from the antenna to the distribution amplifier.

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Feb-2011 at 8:40 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2011, 1:17 PM   #4
enzo

Thanks John,

I'm going to look and see if it is possible to route the coax direct from the new distribution block.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote