TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jan-2011, 2:09 AM   #1
crmtjm

Newbie Question.....

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4fd7a966b4c

Above is the link to my reception map and information. Just started tonight and I am picking up most channels in green, but I have no FOX or NBC channel. I notice on my chart above that both are listed in green but there is no corresponding number in the (Vert) under channel. Why is this....and is there anyway to pick up these channels with no vert listed.

Thanks for any input!

Chris
crmtjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 2:56 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Read and understand this about Real Digital Tv Channels and Virtual Digital Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . When the the Tv or Converter scans for digital channels it finds the Real Channel and displays the Virtual Channel. The Real Channel and the Virtual Channel can be the same or not the same. Some times channel numbers are not listed because of a lack of information. However the Virtual Channel is not really a channel. You can read about PSIP if you like. PSIP can receive a real channel number and display a different channel number. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSIP .

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Jan-2011 at 3:21 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 3:22 AM   #3
crmtjm

Thanks John. That made things much clearer. Now I just need to try and reposition and research so I can find Fox and NBC. I have CBS and ABC and several others but would really like to have the "Big 4".
Old 23-Jan-2011, 4:11 AM   #4
crmtjm

Now that I understand the report more and exactly what I have and don't have, I have another question. Right now I've hooked up an internal antenna that a friend gave to me.....(Philips TV antenna SDV6122 HDTV/UHF/VHF). I'm pointed NW and receiving channels (17,39,26,43,41,40,48,and 46). In addition to these, if I could get 11, 22, and 23 I'd be set. It appears from the map that 22 and 23 are in the same direction, I'm not sure where 11 is????

The question is, based on my report, will an internal antenna of any type get me the additional channels and if so, what type would you suggest. I prefer to stick with an internal if at all possible.

Thanks again for any suggestions or info.
Old 23-Jan-2011, 6:15 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The group of Tv stations to the north west at about 322 magnetic compass are the ones you are receiving. To get more reception with a indoor Tv antenna , one needs to get the antenna to window that is in the direction of the Tv stations and preferably on a second floor or higher. If you still do not receive the channels you will like then you will need to install a roof top Tv antenna. The channels/stations are in the VHF High channels 7 thru 13 and UHF channels 14 thru 69. So the roof top Tv antenna is a Winegard HD7694P. Here is how to aim Tv antennas . http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Some people have installed a roof top antenna on the inside of the house , pointing it out the window or hang it from the ceileing. Big antennas collect more signal and can work on the inside of the house. However the best place for roof top outside Tv antenna is - you guessed it - is outside up high . DO NOT use a amplifier with the HD7694P or any outdoor antenna , the Tv signals at your location are plenty strong and might over load a antenna amplifier.

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Jan-2011 at 9:32 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote