TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-May-2013, 6:50 PM   #1
mshoward82

Making the switch to OTA. Need help.

I am making the move away from cable to OTA.
New to this and don't know to much. Any help we be great.
Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddaacdf7dbbb6

Antenna will be installed in the attic of a two story house.
I currently have cable running to 5 rooms. With 3 TV's hooked up.
There are several splitters throughout the cabling. Not exactly sure of how many at the moment. atleast 3.
I do not have any amplifiers installed.

1. What kind of antenna for my situation?
2. Prefferd splitters/types?
3. Amplifiers?
4. Which direction to place antenna?
5. Multiple antennas pointed in different directions?

I'm just looking to get the major network channels. PBS if possible.
I think there are few religion and spanish channels. Not worried about them.

Thanks for any help.
mshoward82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
teleview

Attics and the inside of buildings Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.
Multi-path/reflections Tv signals bouncing all around , absorbing , blocking , Tv reception.

Looking at the tvfool radar plot and channel list for the Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Channels List , the Digital Tv stations/channels in the Green/Yellow reception zone , down the channel list to and including , WJWJ-DT REAL UHF Digital channel 44 , virtual number (16.1) PBS channels should be received.

Question:

Can reliable reception happen in the attic and inside of buildings??

Answer:

Yes reliable reception can happen in the attic and inside of buildings.

Also the Truth:

However that does not mean that attics and the inside of buildings are a reception friendly environment.

Yes start with a antenna installed in the attic.

Aim the antenna at about 100 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Install a Antennas Direct Clear Stream 2 Complete Uhf/Vhf antenna.
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html.

If there are reception situations/problems that are not resolvable buy adjusting the antenna aim and location of the antenna in the attic.

Move the CS2 Complete antenna to Above the Peak Of The Roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked by the roof and house in the directions of , east , south east , south west.

Above the roof , aim the CS2 Complete antenna at about 100 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.antennasdirect.com.

The reception signal strength of the local Tv stations/channels are strong at your location.

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

A antenna rotator is not required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a simple common 4 way splitter.

The Best Practice and Correct Way to connect the Tv's is to have a coax go out to each Tv location from each splitter output.

Recommend do not daisy chain splitters.

Chaining splitters one after the other , a splitter connected to an other splitter , connected to an other splitter , connected to an other splitter , connected to an other splitter , connected to an other splitter , connected to another splitter , is a good way to have Little Useable Signal in the chain and at the end of the chain of splitters.

Installing amplifiers in the chain of splitters to increase signal strength in the chain is a good way to cause problems with reception/distribution , not solve problems with reception/distribution.

If there is any active cable service , be it , cable tv , cable internet , cable phone service , the antenna Can Not be connected to any type or kind of active cable service.

If there is active cable service the active cable service Must Be on Separate coax.

_______

Yes the coaxes that are in or on the house can be used for the antenna system , however active cable system and antenna system coaxes Can Not be connected together.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a negative effect , multi-path/reflections , absorbing , blocking , Tv reception and so do buildings , including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

The best practice is to install the CS2 Complete antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 3-Jun-2013 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-Jun-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
mshoward82

thanks teleview.
i will have to look and see how many splitters i have set up. i think there might be a few splitters daisy chained together.
i think i will have to redo my splitters to make everything more stream lined.
will that CS2 complete being ok attached on the roof outside? doesn't really look like an outdoor style antenna.

again thanks for you input.
mshoward82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2013, 1:32 PM   #4
teleview

I own/have a CS2 Complete antenna.

And I also test different antennas.

The CS2 Complete antenna is a , Strong , Sturdy , Durable , Antenna , that is designed for Outdoor Installation First , and , indoor installation second.

An ongoing observation:

When a question asker , down grades recommendation/recommendations.

It is an indication that the question asker has or is going to do something or somethings that will make reception more difficult or impossible.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Jun-2013 at 1:54 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-Jun-2013, 4:15 PM   #5
elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshoward82 View Post
will that CS2 complete being ok attached on the roof outside? doesn't really look like an outdoor style antenna.
The CS2 is outdoor rated.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2013, 7:56 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Re. splitters... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13090
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote