TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Feb-2013, 3:06 AM   #1
Leigh

coathanger deluxe user needs advice?

I like taking things apart & putting them back together, and I also very much like not paying for things I can invent, so this coathanger antenna really suits me. I had only to invest in screws & washers - the rest I got out of the recycle bins in the basement, or off the street.

My only complaint is that there is one channel I cannot pull in, WLIW channel 21 across the East River. Everything else comes in gangbusters, including more than one that I shouldn't pick up at all (I think I'm getting about 40 OTA stations at this point, though ironically, I really only watch WLIW's sister station, public television WNET Channel 13. When all is said & done, maybe I made the antenna just for the fun of it.)

Any advice on what to do to pick up WLIW?

Signal analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12892f23e201

Please let me know if there are any more specifics you need. Thanks a million!!!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2013, 4:04 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

A well built DIY 4-bay antenna such as the M4 (either 9 1/2" or 10" whiskers) should have little trouble with WLIW, provided the antenna is aimed at the station and not obstructed by buildings or vegetation.

I'm guessing you're in a condo or apt?

If you're facing close in obstructions, you may need to go up in size and performance... Even an Antennas Direct 91XG is not overkill if you're fighting multipath or similar transmission / propagation impairments.

For outdoor mounting, the basic antenna for the NYC market is a Winegard HD7000R or similar all channel antenna.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Feb-2013 at 8:39 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2013, 5:32 AM   #3
teleview

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or , etc.??

What directions do the windows face??

What directions do , patios / balconies , face??

How many floors above ground??

What is the top floor??
Old 17-Feb-2013, 7:20 PM   #4
Leigh

Yes, I am in an apartment. I am on the 4th floor of a 5-story "dumbbell tenement" (a term from the 1890s), the sort of building which dominates this area. The antennae you suggest belong on the rooftop, while my coathanger deluxe is hanging from the ceiling about two feet from the front (north) windows over the street. I can face it in any direction - it's hanging on a chain. I thought I read somewhere that with the switch-over that building owners are required to have a roof antenna if a tenant requests it? Have you heard that?
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote