TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Aug-2012, 5:10 PM   #1
suckaaarei

Disabled my DirecTV and having reception issues

Hello,

I just disabled my DirecTV service and bought a Winegard flat HD antenna rated for 25 miles. According to my TV signal analysis report, I should have the basic channels (ie ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) with just an indoor antenna but I am lucky if I get NBC and FOX right now. ABC comes in very spotty and CBS is nowhere to be seen. Those are really the only channels I want to get.

At one point, I had all four for a good three weeks and now for the last few days this issue has been happening. I am not moved the antenna and made no changes to my house so I am not sure why I have lost those channels.

I am on the second floor of a two family house and have my antenna taped to the wall basically on the ceiling. There is no attic. Any help I can receive on this issue would be greatly appreciated as I really do not want to go back to cable but I really need these four stations.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99002643881672
suckaaarei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2012, 5:20 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

What can you tell us about the construction of the building?

What type siding?
Do you know if there is any metal foil on or in the insulation or building wrap?

Have you tried placing the antenna at a window with a view to the SW?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Aug-2012 at 6:11 PM. Reason: There's a big difference between SE & SW... oops
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2012, 5:32 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Tape the antenna to a south-west facing window. That's as good as it's going to get with your existing antenna. Use a longer or extension coax, if necessary.

Be aware that there are issues with a number of the Boston stations due to an transmission antenna failure earlier this summer. Repairs are supposed to be completed very soon, but it may still be a few days (or more). WGBH has been providing repair status updates recently on their website.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2012, 5:35 PM   #4
suckaaarei

The building is an old style 1800s construction with wood siding. I do not own the building and am not sure if there is any metal foil in the insulation.

The nearest window pointing to the Southeast is in my kitchen which is pretty far away from the TV. There is a wireless router within about five feet of the antenna. Could that cause interference? Also, could the TV itself causing issues?
It seemed that we got a bunch of channels in a certain spot in our living room so we moved the TV and stand closer to that spot and then re scanned and lost most of the channels that we had in that spot before.
Old 19-Aug-2012, 5:47 PM   #5
suckaaarei

Thank you all for your help. I think that antenna repair in Needham is what is going on but it is still good to know there are helpful people at this forum for when stuff goes wrong!
Old 19-Aug-2012, 6:13 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

I made a fairly big mistake... as ADTech pointed out, the antenna needs a clear view to the south west.

It's possible, though unlikely, a wireless router would interfere with OTA reception, turn it off to see. To rule out the TV, can you borrow another to test with?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Aug-2012 at 6:16 PM. Reason: trouble shooting ideas
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2012, 7:28 PM   #7
teleview

Tv Reception.

As a test to improve reception on Many channels , with a long coax , put the antenna you have in the kitchen window to the south west.