TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jul-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
drall

Suggestions on improving reception.

First off here is my Signal report.

I had a old RCA CRT TV with a RCA tuner box and a el cheapo RCA Antenna

With the old tv I only got the top two green station.

I just bought a two year old Philps HDTV and now I get almost all the channels in red using the same antenna. The problem is the signal is very very hit or miss.

I seem to only get signals at dusk and dawn. Most night I can watch the 11 o'clock news. The weakest signal I get is WMHT-HD. It was very watchable (nearly prefect) but onlly for a hour or so.

I would like to try to get an attic mount antenna (just for ease).

Does anyone think it will work? Why does the signal fade so much (Ionospheric effects?)

Thank you ahead of time guys.
drall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2011, 5:36 PM   #2
mtownsend

Your signals are on the weak side, meaning that an attic mount antenna would probably still be marginal. A rooftop mount would be much better. To get all the red channels reliably, you need a pretty big antenna.

I would recommend a Winegard HD7698P pointed north. It's a big antenna, but size really helps with signal capture.

The reason for the day/night changes in signal is due to atmospheric effects. This effect is known as tropospheric ducting. Variations in air temperature can help radio signals "bend" to follow the curvature of the Earth. These favorable thermal conditions are most common during evening and nighttime hours.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2011, 5:48 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

I have to agree, an attic mount would be an improvement, but not enough to expect reliable reception. The antenna and mounting suggestion offered by mtownsend is appropriate. I'd expect a high quality preamp such as the Antennas Direct CPA-19 would be needed also.

In addition to the atmospheric conditions and terrain, you are also facing possible interference from distant stations that use the same broadcast frequencies. (All the more reason to use the suggested antenna.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2011, 7:18 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I agree with the HD7698P and CPA-19 preamp selection. Also WRNN-Dt 48 , WTBY-TV 27 are very strong local transmissions and will be received through the back of the antenna. Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695. Here are places to buy Tv antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com , http://www.3starinc.com , http://www.amazon.com
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2011, 2:58 PM   #5
drall

OMG! That antenna is 14 foot long. I'm not sure how the neighbors would feel if I mounted a antenna that big, plus I have a pretty sizable apartment/condo complex up on a hill maybe a 1000 feet away. I'm not sure I could get it high enough.

I'm not sure it is worth it to me at this point. I haven't had cable since I bought the house (2 years now) and I really don't miss TV all that much (I'm just a news junkie).

I guess for now I will still with Hulu and NetFlix.

Thank you guys for looking at this.

I should have know it was tropospheric ducting... I just passed my Ham license test.
Old 23-Jul-2011, 5:17 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drall View Post
OMG! That antenna is 14 foot long.
I'd consider an 8 bay UHF only (or Antennas Direct C-4) aimed at Albany with an HDP-269 preamp.

You'd get CBS, PBS, and CW plus three subchannels. WTEN won't work because the strong adjacent channel WTBY. WXXA and WABC are on channel 7 and interfere with each other. WRGB can be seen on 45-3 (real 43) instead of channel 6.

Don't consider an attic mounted antenna.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 23-Jul-2011 at 5:37 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2011, 7:03 PM   #7
John Candle

Do not use a attic mounted antenna , you will not have any useable signal in the attic other then WRNN and WTBY. The neighbors will be very happy that you found a way to receive OTA Digital Tv , That Means They Can Also. Here is the Federal Law that says Yes you can install and use the antenna that is needed to receive reliable OTA Tv. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Jul-2011 at 8:07 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2011, 8:04 PM   #8
John Candle

You can try a Channel Master CM4228HD with a CPA-19 preamp aimed at 360 degree magnetic compass or 0 degree magnetic compass , North. The CM4228HD is designed to have extended limited reception ability below the UHF channels to receive VHF High channels 7 thru 13. The size of the antenna is 3' 6" X 3' 1".

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Jul-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
John Candle

Or can receive the Tv stations with a Winegard YA1713 VHF high band antenna and Antennas Direct 91XG UHF antenna connected together with a UVSJ and CPA-19 connected to the line/output of the UVSJ. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=UVSJ

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Jul-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 2:02 AM   #10
drall

I myself was leaning toward one of those 8 bay antenna. They seem realtivily small (at least for deep fringe antennas)

I will take everyone advice, I won't put it in the attic.

Money is a little tight right now, but I will keep eyes out for deal on the materials I need and I will come back and post once I have results.

Tower Guy:

I have to say that with the little antenna WTBY comes in all the time very strong and doesn't interfere with WTEN. WTEN is the strongest signal I get out of albany, it is the first station to come in and the last to fade out.

John Candle:

I agree with you it is my legal right to put up an antenna but sometime it isn't worth the fallout from your neighbors. I wish I could say I had good neighbors (most of them are). The other day I was out washing my car and I put the radio on listening to a little country, and classic rock (nothing offense mind you and loud enough that I could just barely make out the lyrics 40 feet away) and the one neighbor comes out and turns his truck stero to 11. I try to be civl to other people even if they don't have the same respect for me.

Thank you again guys!
Drall
Old 26-Jul-2011, 5:21 PM   #11
John Candle

This comparison of 3 UHF antennas shows that the CM4228 is the best for reception of channels 7 thru 13 and UHF channels 40 and below , thats the weak channels you receive at your location. The DB8 comes in second for reception of UHF channels above 40. And the HD8800 comes in last for reception. http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparis..._vs_HD8800.htm , http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparis...F_Shootout.htm. . I do my best to stay up to date and informed about all aspects of antennas and reception.

Last edited by John Candle; 26-Jul-2011 at 5:45 PM.
Old 26-Jul-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drall View Post
Tower Guy:

I have to say that with the little antenna WTBY comes in all the time very strong and doesn't interfere with WTEN. WTEN is the strongest signal I get out of albany, it is the first station to come in and the last to fade out.
Good to know. Your TV set is working well.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote