TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Mar-2011, 3:44 PM   #1
meiske1

Question need advice on antenna selection

Hi there wonderful techies!
I need some help choosing an antenna for our mobile home that has terrible tv reception. I want to ditch cable since this is our little vacation home and its getting outragious.

Here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ccd1d435abac3d
we do have cable wiring in the home, but I will probably keep the cable internet. Reception sucks down the beach, but we are at the beach so who is complaining.
We will like to hook up 3 maybe 4 tv's but here is the kicker, we are not allowed to have anything larger that the satellite dish. (Park Rules)

So can you help me, I need to convince Hubby it will be worth the change since if we can keep the internet, we can always catch stuff on netflix.

Mighty Thanks,
Lisa
meiske1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2011, 3:59 PM   #2
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Here is the Federal Law that says YES you can install Tv antennas larger the a satellite dish. Hoa's have known about this law for a very long time , yet they still try and scam people into believing they can not install Tv antennas and other types of antennas. This is a Federal Law and it over rides every one and every thing. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html this Federal Law has been in effect since 1996 , thats 15 years , it's amazing how many people do not know about this Federal Law. This Federal Law came about to protect and enable you to receive Tv with a Tv antenna that is larger then a satellite dish.

Last edited by John Candle; 17-Mar-2011 at 4:05 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2011, 5:04 PM   #3
John Candle

The internet coax and the Tv antenna coax can not be combined on to the same coax. The coax systems must be separate. I recommend these outdoor roof top Tv antennas , Winegard 7080P , Antennacraft HD 1200 , Channelmaster 3018. Aim the antenna at about 294 magnetic compass.
Old 17-Mar-2011, 5:40 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

John's antenna suggestions cover all channels.

According to RabbitEars.info, WNDC-LP on real channel 2 is owned by "HISPANIC CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY NETWORK, INC." I have not found any more information.

On real channel 6, there are two stations indicated, making receptions questionable.

If you would like to receive channel 2, use one of the options John is suggesting. If you have no interest in channel 2, a 4-bay panel antenna such as the Antennas Direct DB-4 (Antennacraft, Channel Master and Winegard each offer an equivalent) would provide good reception.

(As I understand the FCC rules, there is a limit to the size of satellite dishes, 1 Meter in diameter. But OTA TV antennas are not limited to 1 Meter... I'm not an attorney.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Mar-2011 at 5:45 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2011, 6:39 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiske1 View Post
we are not allowed to have anything larger that the satellite dish. (Park Rules)
I'd consider a 4 bay UHF only.

Channel Master 4221
Winegard HD4400
Antennacraft U4000
etc
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2011, 8:25 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

Fox network programming is carried as a sub channel of WBOC, so you will get all the major networks with the suggestions above.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2011, 1:11 PM   #7
meiske1

Thank You

Thank you kind folks for helping me out. I did not know about the federal law and will print out a copy of it should the mobile home park put up a fuss. I just need to figure out which one will do the best job for us and hold up with the coastal storms. So I need to get out there and read the reviews of the suggested ones.
Now if I can find cheaper internet down here I'd be in business. I just got my cable bill for the month and I have to cut that at least in half. we have the middle of the road digital cable and internet access and my bill was $108 yikes.
The only cable shows we watch are discovery and some of the home and cooking channels. I guess I can watch them from my laptop either via netflix since I do have a hdmi port from the laptop.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice. I will spread the word. You guys Rock!

Lisa
meiske1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2011, 4:23 PM   #8
John Candle

Here are some online Tv guides , http://www.tvtantv.com , http://television.aol.com , http://zap2it.com

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Apr-2011 at 9:13 AM.
Old 19-Mar-2011, 4:39 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiske1 View Post
... So I need to get out there and read the reviews of the suggested ones ...
Antennacraft, Antennas Direct, Channel Master & Winegard all have earned reputations for building antennas that last. Be aware that many negative reviews will be from people who chose the wrong antenna or have installed it incorrectly or are mad about something unrelated.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2011, 4:53 PM   #10
John Candle

I agree with GUM , choose one the antennas and you will be Ok. The truth about reviews is most people do not have a clue about what they are talking about and base there opinions on feelings and not facts. Here is information of aiming Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html