TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Apr-2013, 4:37 PM   #1
promted

Basic attic antenna questions...

Here is a link to my data: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda25e7f41b9d

I'm helping my dad with his current OTA TV setup and just wanted ask a few basic questions. I'm new to this forum but from the amount of green I saw in that graph, I imagine I've got a good shot at getting more channels. He currently has a broken antenna up in the attic. He's getting a few channels but they don't seem very reliable, they tend to black out, and he can't get a lot of channels that I think he should be getting. My main questions are, what's a good attic antenna to buy, and based off my graph, should I go Directional or Multi-directional, and where should I be pointing it to get the most channels? I plan on hooking up 4 tvs, and using one of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103093 radio shack preamps that I found sitting in my dads basement, (is that any good?) From what I've read it sounds like moving that up into the attic directly after the antenna produces better results as well. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks
promted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2013, 8:00 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The amount of green in your TVFR is quite encouraging. Excellent reception should be quite easy to get.

The broken antenna can't be trusted to deliver an acceptable signal so it needs to be replaced. It would be good to know that the old antenna produced acceptable reception at one time though.

I'm reluctant to label any antenna as 'a good attic antenna'. I think more in terms of the attic being a less than ideal place for any antenna... some attics are OK... others are completely unacceptable. It has to do with the construction materials used to build the home. An attic may have been an acceptable location in the past, but an added layer of roofing material or new heating ducts may have rendered it unusable as an antenna mounting site.

But your signal conditions call for lots of optimism. You should not need a large antenna to receive plenty of signal power from the air. Any of the 2-bay panel antennas will perform well, even in an attic that has moderate signal attenuation.

Examples would be the Antennas Direct DB2e and CS2, the Channel Master CM-4220 or you could use the slightly larger 4-bay panel antennas such as the DB4e & CS4 from Antennas Direct, the U4000 from Antennacraft, the CM-4221 from Channel Master or the HD4400 from Winegard.

You will want to aim by 'facing' the antenna toward WSW (245° per a compass). The back of a panel antenna is a reflector screen and the mounting clamp.

Do you want to include reception of KUTF, a Spanish language station? If so, you'll want to add a second, somewhat specialized antenna. The Antennacraft Y5717 pointed toward NNW (340° compass). You would also need a UHF/VHF signal combiner to correctly mix the two antennas into a single coax down-lead.

I'm not a huge fan of the RS amplifiers, but if you have it, you can try it. I would opt for a passive 4-way splitter and avoid the noise and distortion problems caused by the amplifier... you have plenty of signal power, especially if you use a 4-bay panel antenna.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Apr-2013 at 4:32 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2013, 8:50 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Skip any and all amplifiers in this location at this location - they would only cause new troubles. You have plenty of available signal power. I'd probably also chuck that particular amp into the e-waste recycle bin. I tested one of them this week and couldn't believe they actually sell something that behaves the way this one did.

All you need is a small UHF-only antenna aimed at Farnsworth Peak and a 4-port splitter for the main SLC stations.

As far as the attic is concerned, be patient and be prepared to try different spots for the antenna. If you have a typical asphalt shingles over plywood roof on the home it should work well enough.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
promted

cool thanks guys
promted is offline   Reply With Quote