TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Dec-2012, 4:26 PM   #1
bk1

Help with antenna selection for apartment

Hi! I'm looking for some help with antenna selection for an apartment. I'm mainly interested in clear signals from the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, FOX, etc). According to the signal analysis tool, all of these towers are south-southwest of me (see link below). I live in on the 3rd floor of an apartment building with a balcony and windows that face East into trees/telephone lines. I currently have amplified rabbit ears that can pick up some of the stations, but usually need to be adjusted every time I change the channel. It's also difficult to eliminate all noise from the picture. I'm looking to find a better antenna that would give me noise-free channel surfing without the need to constantly adjust them. I'd prefer an indoor antenna, but do have some limited space on the balcony to mount a small one. Indoor or outdoor, any antenna will face a wall to be pointed in the direction of the towers. Any help/recommendations you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49ab5c454b8f
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2012, 5:53 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) would be my choice for an indoor antenna.

It's interesting that you say, "It's also difficult to eliminate all noise from the picture." Do you have a TV with a built-in ATSC capable tuner? If you're not sure, what's the make and model? Have you set your tuner to scan for 'Air' or 'Antenna', not 'Cable'?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2012, 6:47 PM   #3
bk1

Thanks for the tip, GroundUrMast!

I do have an ATSC tuner built in and the setup is for antenna, not cable. I probably misused the term noise - what I have is picture breakup (not snow, like on an analog t.v.)...i.e. the picture (and the audio) cuts in and out and sometimes distorts. Sorry for the confusion. If you have any tips to cut this out, other than changing the antenna and directing as described on the forum (I've read the links below), I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=11
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 12-Dec-2012, 7:38 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Pixelization, breakup, intermittent loss of signal are all symptoms of poor antenna performance. Other possibilities are interference and connection problems.

The presence of obstructions such as a building, trees, etc. may also produce the symptoms you've described.

By moving the antenna outside, you overcome the obstruction of your building. You also get away from sources of interference such as appliances and electronics.

The Winegard HD7000 is a fairly small antenna that covers all of the channels shown on your TVFR. The RCA ANT-751 is smaller, though it lacks support for real channels 2 through 6.
Old 12-Dec-2012, 7:53 PM   #5
bk1

Thanks again for the tips! I haven't looked at the Winegard, but it looks like it could work. Would you recommend installing a pre-amp, too?

Thanks!
Old 12-Dec-2012, 9:33 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

When the distance from the antenna to the TV is 50' or less and there is no splitter, a preamplifier will not help... unless the TV tuner has a poor noise figure.

An amplifiers job is to overcome the loss in cable and splitters connected to the output side of the amplifier. Amplifiers can not 'pull' signal from an antenna or out of the air. All amplifiers add some noise and distort the signal... This becomes more of a problem when signals are strong and numerous, which is the case in your situation. If you have ever heard the sound from speakers that were being over-driven you have an idea of what distortion does to a signal.

Reliable reception depends more on signal quality that mere strength.
Old 12-Dec-2012, 9:39 PM   #7
bk1

Got it. Makes sense. Thanks again for all of your help - much appreciated!
Old 13-Dec-2012, 2:26 AM   #8
teleview

In/at a window that is toward the , south - south west , put a Terk HDTVi antenna aimed at about 206 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Run a coax from the HDTVi antenna to the Tv.

Digital Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that a simple channel scan does not clear out.

Do a Double Channel Rescan.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.