TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Feb-2015, 2:49 PM   #1
siglouie

Intermittent reception question(s)

Noob here.
Glad I finally found this place!

I've surfed the boards, and I'm still confused.
I'm uncertain as to what I need for uninterrupted/unfettered reception.
Do I need a pre-amp/amp, or do I need a better antennae? Or both?

Here are the details...

I live in a 10-unit apt. building and I'm restricted to an indoor antennae, with windows facing South. For the most part, my reception is good. However, high-winds, overcast skies, and precipitation, all have a negative effect across the spectrum of channels I typically receive on a clear, windless day.

Currently, I'm using a PHILIPS SDV5119 antennae (near the windows), connected to approx. 15 feet of coaxial cable, which is connected to a Zenith converter box, then through a 3-feet piece of coax to the TV.

(I seem to receive better reception when using the Zenith converter box, as opposed to connecting the antennae directly to the TV.)

Here is my TV FOOL Signal Analysis info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0ada1f2b4ab

Channels I 'lose' when issues arise are:
6-WPVI
2-KJWP
69-WFMZ

As mentioned above, reception for these channels is generally good, when the skies are calm and clear. However, even on clear days, I often have to re-scan the Zenith box, to re-acquire the channels, if they're lost.

Should I invest in a new antennae, amplifier, or both?
Or am I stuck with what I have?

Thanks for your time!
siglouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2015, 4:05 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Because you have many strong signals, amplification is neither needed nor advised. Amplifiers don't improve the performance of an antenna, they amplify everything that comes from the antenna... desired signals, interfering signals, noise, etc. Driving an amplifier with too much signal power results in a great deal of distortion which reduces the quality of the signal at the tuner. The power levels shown on your TVFR suggest that many amplifiers would be overloaded. Amplifiers have their place... Dealing with losses due to long cable runs and signal splitting. In your case, there is no significant amount of cable and no splitting, so no, I can't suggest any amplification.

WPVI and KJWP are broadcast on real CH-6 & CH-2, which by chance coincides with the virtual channel numbers that you see displayed on screen. WFMZ is broadcast on real CH-45, not 69 as it's virtual channel number may make you think. The problem with WFMZ is likely one of relatively weak signal strength compared to the rest of your signals. The signals on real CH-2 & CH-6 are facing considerably more interference than signal on higher frequencies due to the fact that there is quite a bit more man made RF noise in the Low-VHF (real CH-2 through CH-6) band. In both cases, moving the antenna outside to a location with better signal quality and less noise from electronics and appliances in your home, would be an ideal solution.

Because you're in an apartment, you likely have little if any options for mounting an outdoor antenna... So, stepping up to an antenna with better performance may be one of the few practical options. The question is, are you able and willing to use an outdoor type antenna inside your apartment or on a balcony that you rent? To be effective, you need to find a way to point the antenna toward the west.

Any antenna that has intentional design support for real channels 2 through 6 is going to have what seem like very wide elements. Take a look at the Antennacraft AC9, http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas...llChannel.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Feb-2015 at 4:08 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
siglouie

GroundUrMast,

Thank you for your reply!

I appreciate the information you have provided, and I've learned a few things along the way!

Mounting an antennae outside is not an option.
I am limited to using an indoor antennae, however, I am able to position an antennae on/near a South-facing window, if this helps.

Do you think a different antennae would improve signal reliability?
Can you recommend an indoor antennae that may improve reception? Perhaps a flat antennae that I can secure to a window?

I have seen a few flat antennas available from Solid Signal,

eg: (Solid Signal HD-BLADE Indoor Digital Flat Clear Indoor TV Antenna(HDBLADE100C))

Would this antennae be an improvement over the Philips I'm currently using? (see above post)

TIA,
Old 2-Mar-2015, 4:31 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I would not use an amplified antenna. The HD blade also lacks support for real channels 2 through 6. The 'blade' would be a step backward in your application.

The adjustable length rods on your existing antenna can be set to support low frequency reception by setting them at or close to their maximum length. The Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa) would be my choice of indoor antennas, but it's not going to offer any added gain for reception of the two L-VHF signals, CH-2 & Ch-6 compared to the antenna you've already got. A lager antenna such as the AC9 and larger variations of that type would offer a bit more L-VHF performance... But they still need to be located and aimed where there is enough signal of sufficient quality.

For success, your ideal option is a clear western view. aiming 90 degrees off of the ideal line is just about the worst aim, at least theoretically.

Old 6-Mar-2015, 5:46 PM   #5
siglouie

Thanks for your reply!

Channels 2 and 6 are about 90% reliable; channel 69 is one channel that I would like to improve reception. This is a Line Of Sight signal, and is likely coming from the North, however, I can not confirm this. Channel 69 originates about 30 miles north of my location, yet their engineer has told me there is a booster near my location. Channel 69 seems to be the one channel that is severely effected by weather events. On a clear day, it comes in strong. Wind and rain (snow) can effect my reception of channel 69.

TIA,
Old 6-Mar-2015, 7:18 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Your reception report shows the low power translator for WFMZ on real CH-47, which is confirmed by your conversation with the station engineer. The path profile link for that entry in your report shows that the station is located 8.2 miles west of you at 280° magnetic and operating at very low power levels, about 200 watts. The good news is that there's no significant terrain obstructing the path.

There are some indoor locations that simply don't support reliable reception. If you've made every reasonable effort to find a workable location and have come up empty handed, I'd encourage you to peruse the next best option(s).

If you can't find a location indoors that provides the signal quality needed for reliable reception using the existing antenna, your left will the option of trying a larger antenna (one that has more gain and directivity, and in this case one that has intentional support for all channels). If you don't have permission to mount an outdoor antenna, you don't have anything to loose by asking for permission.

Old 26-Mar-2015, 1:44 AM   #7
siglouie

GUM,

Thanks for your reply, and insight!

Well, an outdoor (mounted) antennae is No Go.
Landlord is non-cooperative; fearful of damage to his walls, and of a 'slew' of antennas, satellite-dishes, etc., littering his walls. "It's unsightly."

But...I do have a permanently installed air conditioner, in a south-facing wall. I could possibly mount a small outdoor antennae on this, and direct the antennae to the West. I don't know how well this will work, seeing as the antennae would be very close to the wall of the building, but nonetheless, it would give me a less-obstructed 'view' to the West.

Do you think this is a viable option, or should I look into the Terk HDTVi ?

TIA,
Old 26-Mar-2015, 3:12 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Do you think this is a viable option, or should I look into the Terk HDTVi ?
It's a fairly simple project to test reception using your existing antenna. You may need a new section of coax and an F-81 'barrel connector' for joining the test cable to the antenna coax connector. Both the coax cable and connector are usually stocked in the big box home centers... And they usually have very liberal return policies.

I'd certainly test reception before getting stuck with an antenna that can't deliver worthwhile results.

Old 27-Mar-2015, 3:03 PM   #9
siglouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
It's a fairly simple project to test reception using your existing antenna. You may need a new section of coax and an F-81 'barrel connector' for joining the test cable to the antenna coax connector. Both the coax cable and connector are usually stocked in the big box home centers... And they usually have very liberal return policies.

I'd certainly test reception before getting stuck with an antenna that can't deliver worthwhile results.

What do you mean by "Test Reception"?
Old 27-Mar-2015, 4:15 PM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
What do you mean by "Test Reception"?
Scan for channels, then watch TV and observe the results.

Relocate the antenna if necessary, then rinse and repeat (like it says on the shampoo bottle) as needed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2015, 2:01 AM   #11
siglouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Scan for channels, then watch TV and observe the results.

Relocate the antenna if necessary, then rinse and repeat (like it says on the shampoo bottle) as needed.
For the most part, my reception is good. However, high-winds, overcast skies, and precipitation, all have a negative effect across the spectrum of channels I typically receive on a clear, windless day.

Channels I 'lose' when issues arise are:
6-WPVI
2-KJWP
69-WFMZ

As mentioned above, reception for these channels is generally good, when the skies are calm and clear. However, even on clear days, I often have to re-scan the Zenith box, to re-acquire the channels, if they're lost.

As I explained previously, using an outdoor antennae is not an option.

Basically, my reception is effected by weather; wind, rain, snow/sleet. On clear days, the reception is good. Simply put, will a different indoor antennae improve reception on days of inclement weather? Perhaps a Multi/Omni directional indoor antennae?
Old 2-Apr-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Basically, my reception is effected by weather; wind, rain, snow/sleet
That would suggest that the signals are actually being affected by the trees in your signal path, especially on the UHF frequencies.

The trees will win, in your case, since you lack the ability to take appropriate countermeasures living in an apartment. The reception will only worsen as the leaves come out, assuming they're not evergreens.

Rescanning is an futile exercise if the channels are already stored into the box's memory.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2015, 7:46 PM   #13
siglouie

Thanks for your reply!