TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Sep-2011, 8:33 PM   #1
brandon0413

poor reception on one channel only

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5eb880128f4

The only channels I care about are in green and the only one I am having trouble with is Fox on channel 7.1.

I'm on the third floor in an apartment facing south, which is the wrong direction for most of the channels I care about. There is another apartment in the same building to the north of me.

I can pick up all channels except fox with a set of cheap rabbit ears. I have tried a few antennas with mostly the same results:

Terk - Omnidirectional Amplified Indoor Digital HDTV Antenna
CLEARSTREAM - Micron Antenna with Amplifier
Antennas Direct - ClearStream 2 Long-Range HDTV Outdoor Antenna

I can get better info on these if you need. The one I have now is the long-range indoor/outdoor antenna.

After experimenting with the position of the antenna I decided to try a longer cable, but I couldn't find one. I attached a splitter and another cable and still wasn't having any luck. Then out of nowhere, I set the antenna down in the middle of my living floor and it started coming in great. Left it there a few days and fox is still coming in great. I have moved it around multiple times and have found that I must have the splitter in the exact right spot and it doesn't really matter where I have the antenna sitting or pointing. Just as long as that splitter is in the sweet spot in the middle of my living room floor fox comes in great. I can walk all around and step on the splitter and the signal doesn't blink.

Should I keep trying different antennas? Maybe a longer cable? Maybe I could add a couple more splitters and I could find some sweet spots elsewhere lol.
brandon0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2011, 6:37 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon0413 View Post
I can pick up all channels except fox with a set of cheap rabbit ears. I have tried a few antennas with mostly the same results:
Fox is on channel 7, your only VHF channel. The culprit is likely to be interference.

The source of the interference could be a strong FM station. If so, add an FM filter to the rabbit ears.

Another potential source of VHF interference is the TV itself. Try moving the rabbit ears further from the TV. Adjacent to a window would be best.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
brandon0413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Fox is on channel 7, your only VHF channel. The culprit is likely to be interference.

The source of the interference could be a strong FM station. If so, add an FM filter to the rabbit ears.

Another potential source of VHF interference is the TV itself. Try moving the rabbit ears further from the TV. Adjacent to a window would be best.
Thanks for the reply.

I picked up an FM filter on my way home from work. It doesn't make any difference.

I saw an RF filter while I was trying to find the FM filter. Could that help?

I will pick up a longer cable to give me some more room to work with.
brandon0413 is offline   Reply With Quote