TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Dec-2013, 5:38 PM   #1
oneanddone

Urban Boston - Indoor Antenna Advice

My question regards how much improvement I might be able to expect with different indoor antennas.

Here is my TvFool plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae8dab26bc01

Recently cut the cord and hooked up a SuperSonic Flat Digital Antenna VHF/UHF. I most interested in picking up the major networks.

The only window that points in the general direction of the transmitters is more SSW-facing rather than the more direct SW direction of the transmitters (blocked by rest of building). Positioning the antenna at the above window, or pointing more directly toward the transmitters (and therefore through the building) yields 22 channels, but with relatively low signal strength (typically about 25-50%, sometimes up to 75%).

Is it worth it to try some other slightly pricier models of the indoor antennas (eg Mohu leaf, C2, etc), or am I likely limited by the local structural environment? How different are the technologies employed by these different products? I have also gathered from reading some of other threads that an amplified antenna (eg Leaf ultimate) would not necessarily help my situation given the proximity of the towers, is this accurate?

Thanks for any and all help.
oneanddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2013, 2:33 AM   #2
teleview

Your location has Strong Signal Strengths , the Tv transmitters are Close.

Strong Multi-Path reflected signals are the Situation/Problem at your location.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can correct a certain amount of multi-path and then at some point the multi-path amount will be more then the computer in the tuner can correct.
The result is picture and sound drop outs and no picture and sound.

Using a amplified antenna or external amplifier will amplify the multi-path , stronger multi-path means Worse Reception.

I recommend a Non amplified directional antenna for reception.

A directional antenna will reduce the multi-path and improve reception.

Put a , Antennas Direct , CS2V , UHF/VHF antenna , in/at the window.

C2-V-CJM , www.amazon.com

--------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

-----------------------------

So is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What floor??

What is the top floor??

Last edited by teleview; 16-Dec-2013 at 5:12 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 17-Dec-2013, 4:26 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
------
Installing the CS2V antenna above the the roof aimed at about 254 degree magnetic compass direction will provide an Amazing number of reliable Tv channels to receive.
Old 18-Dec-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
oneanddone

The location is the the first story of a 3 story house/apartment building.

Putting an antenna on the roof is not an option per the landlord.

So a different model indoor antenna than the one I currently have will be significantly better at dealing with multipath issues?

Sounds like it is worth a shot. Thanks for the advice
oneanddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2013, 1:15 PM   #5
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneanddone View Post
So a different model indoor antenna than the one I currently have will be significantly better at dealing with multipath issues?
The indoor unit that seems to be most often recommended here for dealing with multipath issues is the non-amplified directional Terk HDTVi. It's a h-vhf/uhf unit, but it looks like you don't actually need the vhf portion. You could just leave the dipoles tucked away. The Silver Surfer was (I think) the original of that art-deco airplane style, but it doesn't seem to be made any more (it was UHF only), but the Terk seems to be highly regarded too.

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolog...+silver+sensor
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2013, 2:55 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
------
A idea.

The Tv signal strengths at your location are strong signal strengths.

With the CS2V antenna on roof , the strong signal strengths and the CS2V antenna can easy supply reception to 4 to 6 Tv locations ( apartments of the apartment house ) using a splitter , no antenna system amplifier required.

If the CS2V antenna is above the roof , then aim the antenna at about 211 degree magnetic compass direction.