TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Mar-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Lindzr

Suggestion to slightly improve reception

Just hooked up an RCA ANT751 on the roof of my condo approx 22 feet up - get solid signal for all but one of the channels I want (24.1) and it is marginal (all the broadcasts I want are at roughly 75 degrees except the one marginal station which is at 93 degrees - see chart)

I can get solid signal for 24.1 if I rotate closer to 93 degrees but then lose Fox (13.1) and Fox would be more important if I had to choose which would be the more important of the 2. All the other channels I care about come in pretty well anywhere between 75 and 93 degree orientation - it seems these 2 are the trouble makers

I do not have a rotator but thought I might be able to cure the marginal signal with a booster or perhaps a bigger antenna since signal is already almost there - the RCA is small ( I chose it on purpose based on good reviews and the preference not to have at 10 foot antenna if I do not have to) - seems really close to sufficient

That said for my 2nd act I wanted to split the signal for a 2nd and perhaps 3rd tv and while testing with the first split it seems like I lost just enough gain that I started to get pretty marginal on a few channels so I assume by the time I split for a 3rd it will be pretty spotty. First run is about 30 feet, 2nd maybe 45 feet, 3rd would be 25

Will a booster help for this do you think? Suggestions for a particular type?

I know the RCA is a small antenna and I may do better with something bigger, do you think that would be the better route?

thanks for your input

Lindz
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All(1).png (66.9 KB, 536 views)
Lindzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2013, 2:23 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

If I was in the same situation, I would opt for a large high gain antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P. I would mount as high as practicality and safety allow.

An Antennas Direct PA-18 or CPA-19 preamp would be my choice for amplification. This would overcome the losses in cable and splitters, but as you may already know, an amplifier does not / can not 'pull' signal from the antenna or air.

Reliable reception starts with the antenna and it's location. As you have already acknowledged, the ANT-751 is too small in this case.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 13-Mar-2013 at 2:26 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote