TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Jul-2012, 2:34 AM   #1
redtiger

Antenna Recommendations for my Dad's house

While I've been trying get TV reception at my house I've also been asked to help my Dad get better reception than his present "rabbit ear" situation. His tvfool report is

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99003f11b27deb

Would someone please give some advice on which antenna(s) would optimize his choices? Must be either indoor or rooftop - there is no attic option.

He now gets somewhat spotty 7, 5(13), and 12 (9 PBS). He does not get 2. I'm not sure of any others but I don't think so. There is only one tv in the house.

Thanks a million for any help.
redtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 5:24 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The situation indicated by the TV Fool report you've posted calls for an antenna mounted outside, in the clear.

On paper, a Winegard HD7015P aimed at 95° has the gain needed to receive the top six signals on the report and perhaps a few analog signals as well.

If you keep the coax length under 100', no preamp should be needed to drive the one TV.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

The 7015 antenna is a good choice for your main group of stations. To receive CBS real channel 38 from the opposite direction you need to install a rotor. If CBS is a must have, install an Eagel Aspen rotor, from www.solidsignals.com This rotor uses the signal coax to operate. A very simple installation.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 2:29 PM   #4
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
The 7015 antenna is a good choice for your main group of stations. To receive CBS real channel 38 from the opposite direction you need to install a rotor. If CBS is a must have, install an Eagel Aspen rotor, from www.solidsignals.com This rotor uses the signal coax to operate. A very simple installation.
Huh? Ch. 13 aka Ch. 13 from Portland is a Tropo signal. At best that will only skip in during certain atmospheric conditions.

His local CBS station is WABI and he should have no trouble getting that with most any VHF antenna.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 3:15 PM   #5
signals unlimited

Thanks Bill I see that point. The other CBS is still in the opposite direction from the main location correct?, but it may be received off the rear of the recommended antenna. If not a rotor can be added.

I know that is your "neck of the woods" and your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 16-Jul-2012, 3:36 PM   #6
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Thanks Bill I see that point. The other CBS is still in the opposite direction from the main location correct?, but it may be received off the rear of the recommended antenna. If not a rotor can be added.

I know that is your "neck of the woods" and your input is greatly appreciated.
That WABI signal is quite strong and could probably be received with a coat hanger attached to the coax. That said, he should easily receive it off the backside of a VHF antenna.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 3:43 PM   #7
signals unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
That WABI signal is quite strong and could probably be received with a coat hanger attached to the coax. That said, he should easily receive it off the backside of a VHF antenna.
Good news! Thanks!
Old 17-Jul-2012, 2:15 AM   #8
redtiger

Excellent work, folks. Seems to be general agreement on an antenna choice and my Dad will be very happy if he can receive all those top signals.

With so many choices out there I was getting really bogged down "Googling" things on my own and trying to pick something out. Having you guys cut to the chase has been very cool. Thank you.

@ GroundUrMast: I don't know if the "On paper..." reference was intended as humor, but I got a laugh out of it; hope you don't mind! We'll be well under 100 feet with the cable run so it's sounding like this should be pretty easy - knock on wood

@Billiam: BTW, the "coat hanger attached to the coax" comment was also hilarious; probably true but still hilarious!

Last edited by redtiger; 17-Jul-2012 at 2:24 AM.
Old 18-Jul-2012, 7:32 AM   #9
teleview

Tv Reception.

Wikipedia is showing that WBGR-LP Analog Tv channel UHF 33 is , ION Tv , Liberty Channel , World harvest.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBGR-LP.

Wikipedia is showing that WCKD-LP Analog Tv channel UHF 30 is , TBN Trinity Broadcasting Network.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCKD-LP
Old 18-Jul-2012, 5:20 PM   #10
redtiger

Any comments on this "second opinion"?

I was on the phone yesterday with a tech from Solid Signal regarding my own situation. When we finished with that I brought up my Dad's situation and the recommended Winegard HD 7015P. He suggested two forums (yours was one of them). He also said his recommendation for that application would be a Winegard FVHD 45 (or even an FVHD 30). He claimed they are smaller and more rugged and should still do the trick. He felt the 7015P was "huge" and was "more antenna than was required".

I haven't taken the time to even look up the two antennas he spoke of. I'd like to ask you folks if this is worth considering or would you still recommend the 7015P (for us, size is not really a problem; ruggedness is worth looking at).

Thanks for your help.
Old 18-Jul-2012, 6:01 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

Because the FVHD45 and ...30 are smaller, they lack support for reception of real channel 2, WLBZ. If you don't care to receive NBC programing, then those antennas may be appropriate.

Here's a screen shot of the Net NM estimate for WLBZ using the HD7015P. A Net NM in excess of 15 dB gives me confidence that you'll have reliable reception.

If you choose an antenna with no designed support for reception of real channel 2, it's not unreasonable to estimate the effective gain to be in the range of -15 to -25 dBd. If that's the case, you would end up with a negative net NM which predicts reception failure.
Attached Images
File Type: png WLBZ Net NM Estimate.png (38.0 KB, 591 views)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Jul-2012 at 6:12 PM. Reason: Added Net NM estimate
Old 18-Jul-2012, 6:14 PM   #12
redtiger

Thanks, GroundUrMast. We definitely want WLBZ-2 available to Dad. I thought I'd explained that to the Solid Signal tech.
Old 18-Jul-2012, 8:02 PM   #13
teleview

Tv Reception.

Redtiger says.
(for, us size is not really a problem; ruggedness is worth looking at).

For a , Rugged , Heavy Duty , Long Lasting , antenna use the Winegard HD7080P antenna.

The FVHD45 is from a american manufacture that is selling their antennas through Winegard , at their own web site , and other sellers.
They are pushing hard to sell there antennas , they go to other sellers like solidsignal and , push , to get their antennas sold and not the main line main stream Winegard antenna line.

An interesting situation , I am watching it unfold.

I recommend the main line main stream Winegard antennas. The Winegard HD series antennas

http://www.winegarddirect.com

Last edited by teleview; 18-Jul-2012 at 8:35 PM.
Old 18-Jul-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

FVHD45 looks like a very good antenna. Nothing wrong with American made, and the ability to add low VHF in very inovative and could be a channel saver.

Winegard would not list an antenna that didn't live up to it's own high standards for performance and durabilty.
Old 19-Jul-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

At Winegard Direct,

The FVHD45 is $89.99
The HD7080P is $67.99
The HD7015 is $39.99

Both the 7080 & 7015 have published specs that allow you to calculate reliable performance in this application. I have not found any specifications for the FVHD45, perhaps someone else has.
Old 27-Jul-2012, 5:36 PM   #16
redtiger

Away for awhile but ready to finish this

I was fairly convinced to go with the original recommendation of the 7015P. However, I found a post from GroundUrMast in another part of this forum (Antennas):

" Winegard HD7015
The Winegard HD7015 is designed to receive all channels. It is primarily intended for outdoor mounting and like any other antenna, will perform best if it's given a clear and unobstructed view.

This is a mid-sized directional antenna with gain from 2.5 dBd @ CH-6 to 9.9 dBd at CH-32. It is most sensitive toward the front and receives very little from the sides and rear."

It's the statement about receiving "...very little from the sides and rear" that took away all my momentum. This antenna is for my Dad and I want to do the best I can for him. His situation requires that we use an antenna which will receive from the rear (WABI - a very strong signal). Will the 7015 do this (on paper)? Would the more expensive 7080P be better?

How about the 7082 or 7084? These two antennas seem to be quite popular. I was drawn to the 7082 because I've read that it is especially strong and rugged. Is that true? Winters can be harsh here.

The FVHD45 certainly looks really rugged but I can't really find any info on it that isn't just someone wanting to sell them; Haven't found any reviews or comparisons.

Anyway, would someone weigh in one more time with an opinion/observation? Will all these antennas work? Is there really that much difference between them? Is one more "forgiving" than the rest?
I'd pay the extra $$$ if I felt one of the more expensive ones would perform better for my Dad.

Any final thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 27-Jul-2012, 6:02 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

The signal levels from real channel 9 and 13 are roughly 20 dB (100 times) more powerful than the signals from the other direction. You don't need to receive as well from the rear as it may seem.

The HD7082 will work quite well, as would the 7015. The generalized comments re. the 7015 would also describe the 7082, though the 7082 has a few dB additional forward gain.

But as the OP has requested,
Quote:
... would someone weigh in one more time with an opinion/observation? Will all these antennas work? Is there really that much difference between them? Is one more "forgiving" than the rest?
Old 27-Jul-2012, 7:34 PM   #18
signals unlimited

Unfortuntly the bigger and better the antenna, the more directional it becomes and there will be little or no reception from the rear.

The best reception for your Dad would be to use the HD7084 antenna in a rotor.
I get some 'push back' when recommending a rotor, but the truth is "directional antennas are intended to perform there best whem aimed toward the transmitter".

Anyone who wants to know if a rotor is needed in there area should look up when driving around. If nearly every antenna has a rotor one should be considered.
Old 27-Jul-2012, 9:16 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

My current system includes an all channel antenna similar in performance to the HD7015. It's Aimed south at the main local group of towers. I reliably receive two signals from the north... 70 miles distant.

The difference in gain front vs. back of the HD7015 (and the lager 7080, 7082 and 7084) would start to balance the difference in signals levels (CH 9 & 13 vs the others in the opposite direction.

When you examine the specifications of the 7015, http://www.winegarddirect.com/pdf/spec_PR7015.pdf, you find that at channel 9 the antenna has 7.5 dBd forward gain and a front to back ratio of 12.5 dB. This means that the the antenna has -5 dBd gain to the rear. (7.5 - 12.5) The signal strength of CH-9 is predicted at 59 dB above the minimum ( 59.1 dB NM). Negative gain of 5 dB leaves you with a NM at the antenna terminals of +54.1 dB... that's a very strong signal... in no need of amplification.

I won't argue against a rotator beyond saying it will double the cost of the system and it can be added later if not done at the time of original installation.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Jul-2012 at 7:15 AM.
Old 27-Jul-2012, 9:30 PM   #20
No static at all

You will likely be OK with the signals coming from directly behind the antenna no matter what you end up purchasing.

I use 2 highly directional antennas & recieve signals from the rear well up to 25 miles away. Reception is generally reliable except on windy days the picture will pixelate at times. A lot will depend on how well your television handles multipath in those situations.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote