TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jan-2015, 1:19 AM   #1
tbird2340

New House... Same Problem

So new house, new antenna (DB8) on a mast attached to my chimney, new TV.. Same problems..

Around 19 second mark.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nARsNYvJ-ok

W.T.F.
tbird2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2015, 2:58 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

DB8 or DB8E? Please post a new TVFR for the new house. Are you having trouble with only one channel, or all of them? If only one, which one?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2015, 1:45 PM   #3
tbird2340

DB8..

Here is my tvfool - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15e53050ebb7

It's not just 19.1 (Fox).. Yesterday when watching 33.1 (ABC) the entire channel went out.. I'm guessing they were having issues because I never had that problem before.. Where a channel would go completely out for over 15 minutes..

I've also had the issue watching 27.1 (CBS).

Thanks
Old 26-Jan-2015, 3:19 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Wow, entirely different report and signal conditions. I've taken the liberty to separate this thread from your earlier one that dealt with another location.

If you have any sort of amplifier, it will overload due to the overpowering signal levels. So be sure to remove any amplifier.

The gain of the DB8 is not needed in this application (though it's directivity may be an asset). How long a cable run is between the antenna and TV? Are there any splitters and if so, are all ports terminated in a tuner or resistor cap? (I'm trying to determine if the existing antenna is likely overloading your tuner.)

Old 26-Jan-2015, 3:21 PM   #5
tbird2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Wow, entirely different report and signal conditions. I've taken the liberty to separate this thread from your earlier one that dealt with another location.

If you have any sort of amplifier, it will overload due to the overpowering signal levels. So be sure to remove any amplifier.

The gain of the DB8 is not needed in this application (though it's directivity may be an asset). How long a cable run is between the antenna and TV? Are there any splitters and if so, are all ports terminated in a tuner or resistor cap? (I'm trying to determine if the existing antenna is likely overloading your tuner.)
Thanks.. No splitters or amplifiers.. It just goes from my antenna, down my chimney, into my attic, and into my TV.. I'd say the cable is between 25'-50'..
Old 26-Jan-2015, 3:53 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Two thoughts come burbling to the top...

Try adding an attenuator inline (it can be at any convenient point in the line given your current setup.

I'd try between 10 & 20 dB. Here's one example: http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-...HVNSV368MW46E0 but search through SolidSignal, 3Starinc, etc. The shipping can bite hard... (Another search result I got: http://www.3starinc.com/products_sea...or&search=+Go+)

Idea #2: Did you bring an appliance, tool or some electronic devise with you in the move that generates interference? Turn off all power to one suspect device at a time to isolate the culprit.

Patience is often learned though being forced to wait, take you time, or otherwise deal with a nearly intolerable situation... (No extra charge for the half baked wisdom )

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Jan-2015 at 4:48 PM.
Old 26-Jan-2015, 4:09 PM   #7
StephanieS

Tbird,

Those signals at 2+ miles are extremely strong. When I watched your video I was thinking weaker signals and trees. I was surprised by your report.

I agree with GroundUrMast, the DB8 is the wrong antenna for your application. You could honestly get away with a small VHF/UHF combo like the Antennacraft HBU11 or RCA ANT751 and be more than fine with Youngstown. Both these small antennas don't have anywhere near the gain of the DB8.

Cheapest solution is to put the attenuator in line.

Is Youngstown your only goal or are you attempting Steubenville and Pittsburgh signals?

Also do you have trees in your pathway?

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2015, 8:50 PM   #8
signals unlimited

PA. DTV reception

If you think overload, simply turn the antenna to face the rear of the antenna toward the signal. That will put that notion to rest. If the problem is still there, electrical interference is possible. You need to determine if it's in or outside. To test for inside you can try turning off the power in the home and use a battery operated set or power up with a UPS if you have or can borrow either. I have found outside sources such as electric fences, or arcing power transformers to be the prime suspects. Inside I have found some LED replacement light bulbs to generate interference . Found one from Home Depot that shuts down my VHF.
Good Luck!
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 2:26 AM   #9
Jake V

After trying the tests for interference, I'd probably point the DB-8 towards Pittsburgh (136 degrees or so) just to see what happens. The reflector might block some of the strength and you might just get a number of the Pittsburgh channels.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote