TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Dec-2013, 9:00 PM   #1
jayjr1105

Grounding block Questions

Hi All, I have recently installed a new Winegard 7694 and I'm very happy with results. I just finished my grounding project and I'm wondering if it's enough to withstand a lightning strike or at least save my TV sets.

I have 2 large trees that kind of blanket my roof area but I realize that a lightning hit is still a possibility.

Here is my ground block setup outside. It was impossible for me to get the ground wire to the house ground rod because of it being on the other side of the house so I bought a 6$ RadioShack 4 foot rod. The water main is also on the other side.

I hear that you can use an RG6 cable with a messenger cable to help supplement proper grounding. My chimney is in the dead middle of the house so I couldn't run a proper ground.

Last thing... Should I paint the new block and connectors to help with weatherproofing? Or are the compression fittings (PPC EX6XL's) good enough to withstand the elements?

I also have an Antronix splitter inside the house with a #12 wire going to the middle (ground) terminal of an inside outlet.

Overkill?
jayjr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

It's not likely that your antenna system or mine would survive a direct lightning strike. A direct lightning strike will deliver an overwhelming amount of energy, capable of melting fusing and vaporizing consumer grade equipment. Surviving a nearby strike or contact with a power conductor is a more realistic goal.

A lone ground rod is unlikely to provide much protection. The reason is, few ground rods make enough contact with the earth to be able to conduct more than a few amps of current in the event they are connected to power line voltage (in N America, typically 120 VAC).

To illustrate, I am just finishing installation of a sub panel in an out-building. the local adopted code says that if there is no grounding electrode system at the outbuilding, I am supposed to install one and connect the frame of the new panel to it. If I use a single 8' ground rod as the grounding electrode, it must have no more than 25Ω of resistance... Failing that, I am supposed to add a second 8' ground rod at least 6' away from the first.

I don't have an accurate test set to measure my ground rod resistance, but I can estimate it by connecting a known voltage that is referenced to the presumably low resistance ground from the local utility. My nice new copper clad rod has an approximate resistance of 1100Ω. Not really a big surprise, given the sandy soil I'm on. After driving the second rod, and redoing the test, I measured an approximate resistance of 550Ω which seems to give some credence to my methodology.

Stop and think about this... If I connected 120 VAC to a resistance of 550Ω, the current flow would be E/R=I or, 120V/550Ω=0.218Amps. Then, lets say I added several dozen 8' rods to my system... As a result, I manage to get a ground resistance of 25Ω as mentioned in the NEC (250.56). If I connect 120 volts to a resistance of 25Ω the current flow is 120V/25Ω=4.8Amps. Huh... A 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker will never trip in either case, will it?

My point is that an isolated ground rod (one that's not connected to the rest of your grounding electrode system and the utility company's grounding system) can't be counted on to carry enough current to trip a breaker if a power conductor comes in contact with the rod or any thing it's connected to. You could have 120 volts connected to your antenna coax shield and never trip a breaker... even when someone happens to touch the cable and something else grounded to the rest of your electrical wiring system.

Now, think about the much higher voltage you would expect if lighting struck close by... If there is only a high resistance path between your antenna system and the rest of the grounded items in your house, isn't it reasonable to suppose that a few thousand volts could be developed between the coax of your antenna system and the wiring in your house? A surge protector connected to the antenna coax and building ground to could be expected to make a really bright flash as it vaporized.

If you bond the antenna ground rod to your existing electrical service as called for by NEC 250 and 810, you'll greatly reduce the chance of a large voltage difference between items that should be at ground potential. (The NEC defines - "Bonded (Bonding). Connected to establish electrical continuity and conductivity" )

So what's the purpose of grounding (connecting to earth)? Per the NEC, "Electrical systems that are grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner that will limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that will stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation." I understand this to mean that if no one grounded anything, we would expect static buildup to occasionally cause unexpected arc-over between systems that are insulated from each other. In fact, early in the development electrical utilities, systems were not grounded and they had a variety of problems due to static, lighting and lack of a common reference. Grounding does not stop lighting, but it does mitigate the damage it can cause. Grounding works in large part, because your ground rods are connected to your neighbors via the utility company system... everyone that makes a ground connection improves the total system and it's connection to earth.

I would run a #10 AWG copper (or larger) from the mast to the electrical service ground. I would also route the coax from the antenna to a location close to the electrical service ground. At a location that was 10' or less from the electrical service ground, I would install the coax grounding block. From there I would feel comfortable running the coax to wherever it needed to go.

This method avoids adding a rod that is difficult or impossible to bond to the existing electrical service grounding system. It avoids the need for expensive #6 AWG bonding cable between a new rod and existing. More importantly, the connections and wire called for by the NEC can be expected to conduct enough current to trip a breaker quickly if by some odd chance, a power conductor comes in contact with your antenna system.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Dec-2013 at 2:06 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Keep an eye out for water running down the coax and into the house. A drip loop would be best practice.

Consider wrapping the connectors with Coax-Seal or Scotch 2228. I also put a protective over-wrap of electrical tape over the mastic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sealed Coax on Grounding Block.jpg (102.3 KB, 4194 views)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Dec-2013 at 1:12 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 8-Dec-2013, 1:21 AM   #4
jayjr1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Keep an eye out for water running down the coax and into the house. A drip loop would be best practice.

Consider wrapping the connectors with Coax-Seal or Scotch 2228.
Yes I know, I ran that bedroom cable a while back before I was educated on the basics and there isn't enough slack in the basement to create a loop. Plus the cable was a pain to run (I had to use lube). I used the gray electrical putty stuff though and I'm pretty sure It's keeping moisture out.

I'll look into Coax Sealers but honestly I might just paint it. The old Comcast block was painted and seemed to protect it pretty well.

GroundUrMast, it sounds like your screwed either way from a direct hit so I'll probably just live with what I have for now. Is my internal splitter grounding to the nearest receptacle (the bottom pic) helping?
Old 8-Dec-2013, 1:56 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Is my internal splitter grounding to the nearest receptacle (the bottom pic) helping?
Is the frame of the receptacle connected to the electrical service ground? I have to ask... the previous owner here failed to connect any ground wire to several of the receptacles they installed.

If you're actually connected to a #12 or #14 AWG 'equipment grounding conductor', you should have protection from contact with power. Ie. you could hope to trip a 15, 20 or even 30 Amp breaker if the coax came in contact with a branch circuit. And you would expect that this would drain static off the antenna system.

Grounding your mast would add quite a bit more protection from nearby lightning strikes. I prefer to offer lightning induced current a low impedance path to ground, outside the building. If your splitter is solidly connected to the electrical system ground, you've got a situation that leads fault current into and through your home.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Dec-2013 at 2:13 AM. Reason: sp. & last bit of advocating for best practice
Old 8-Dec-2013, 2:03 AM   #6
jayjr1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Is the frame of the receptacle connected to the electrical service ground? I have to ask... the previous owner here failed to connect any ground wire to several of the receptacles they installed.

If you're actually connected to a #12 or #14 AWG 'equipment grounding conductor', you should have protection from contact with power. Ie. you could hope to trip a 15, 20 or even 30 Amp breaker if the coax came in contact with a branch circuit. And you would expect that this would drain static off the antenna system.
Yes, It's a 20 amp circuit (#12 wire) with ground. I personally wired it. I worked for an electrician for a couple years and can properly wire most residential stuff.
Old 8-Dec-2013, 2:25 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

You and I sound pretty dangerous...