TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jun-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
wheels14

Indoor HD Antenna Help and Advice

I recently purchased a Clearstream Micron 25 Mile Range Indoor HDTV antenna. Link Here: http://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-Mi...Y3Z8HAGTTAHC32

The report to my location is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c644e82a4481

I'm able to pick up a fantastic picture of everything listed at the top of the report in blue, EXCEPT Channel 13.1, the WOWK/CBS station. I also receive the stations in pink.

I would like to pick up Channel 13.1 at a minimum and maximize any other stations I might be able to receive as well.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
wheels14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jun-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
teleview

+=>

The tvfool report is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Do Not Delete the tvfool report that is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Please make and post 2 more tvfool reports , 25 and 40 feet antenna heights above ground.
Old 9-Jun-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Jake V

Have you tried aiming the antenna in different directions to best gather the signal that reaches it? WOWK 13 (13.1) is at Magnetic 308 degrees on a compass. I'd suggest rotating the antenna in different directions and reporting your result (you will most likely gain and loose channels depending on the direction it is pointed.

Is the antenna pointing through a widow to the northwest? Are their walls blocking the signal? There are lots of potential issues with indoor antennas.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jun-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The Micron is a UHF antenna and is not particularly effective at receiving VHF channels except at short range or with very strong VHF stations. You can run the first several feet of the coax closest to the antenna horizontally and perpendicular to the direction the signals come from and it might help, but, short of adding a dedicated VHF antenna, there's not much that can be done with it.

I usually suggest upgrading to the C2V as it's both stronger on UHF and it has the VHF element that your channel 13 should need.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 9-Jun-2014 at 12:35 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jun-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
wheels14

Jake - thanks for the response. I have tried aiming the antenna in various directions, as well as moved it around the room. In fact, I also took the antenna to another tv in my house on the second floor and aimed it in various directions with the same results.

Other channels do come and go when I move the antenna, but I simply have had no luck getting WOWK. I'm new to antennas in general, but I'm having a hard time understanding why channels with weaker signals come in fine, but that channel in particular isn't being picked up.

The room where the antenna is does primarily have walls without windows, so I'm sure there is some degree of 'blockage' in the house. However, I was not able to get the signal at a much higher position upstairs either.
Old 9-Jun-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
wheels14

AdTech - thank you. I may move this antenna upstairs to a lesser used tv. Any suggestions on a more inconspicuous HD antenna that would pick up UHF and VHF?
Old 10-Jun-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels14 View Post
AdTech - thank you. I may move this antenna upstairs to a lesser used tv. Any suggestions on a more inconspicuous HD antenna that would pick up UHF and VHF?
An inconspicuous antenna will also be somewhat inconspicuous to TV signals.
That's why they call it Line Of Sight.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jun-2014, 4:34 PM   #8
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels14 View Post
I'm new to antennas in general, but I'm having a hard time understanding why channels with weaker signals come in fine, but that channel in particular isn't being picked up.
Think of a kid on a swing in the back yard. If you push (and pull) the swing at the same frequency the swing wants to oscillate at on it's own (natural frequency), the excursion will increase and the kid will be happy.

If you push (and pull) at a much higher frequency, the kid on the swing will sort of wiggle around a bit, but won't really get going in any meaningful way. You push a little, and the swing starts to move, but by then you're pulling and cancelling out a lot of what you just put into it, then you're pushing again, and so on. Same thing if you push/pull too slowly - it never really gets going.

Radio waves sort of work like that, in that the receiving antenna (and presumably the transmitting antenna) has its own natural frequency, and works best with a particular channel, but the element(s) is(are) close enough in size to get a range of imperfect frequencies (wavelengths) very well, but get too far away in frequency and the ability of the antenna to receive the signal is degraded to the point where the result isn't usable by the TV (pushing/pulling the kid on the swing too fast or too slow, so not enough excursion to drive the tv effectively).

Low-band VHF frequencies (channels 2-6) have wavelengths of something around 17 ft (channel 2) down to around 11.5 ft (channel 6), high-band VHF is around 5.5 ft (channel 7) down to around 4.5 ft (channel 13), and UHF band is around 2 ft (channel 14) down to 1.4 ft (channel 51).

Antenna elements are smaller than that, I think typically 1/2 wave or less, but you can see how big a difference there is just between channel 13 and channel 14 - your antenna wants to be pushed/pulled much quicker (473 million times per second on 14 up to 695 million times per second on 51) than the signal is pushing and pulling on channel 13 (213 million times per second).

Look at Antenna Direct H-VHF/UHF antennas, and you can see the short elements for UHF, and the much longer ones behind it for H-VHF. Then look at a full-range or L-VHF and you'll see the much much larger elements for channels 2-6.

Despite marketing claims by some manufacturers, you just can't change the laws of physics, and you need an antenna designed for the channels you want to receive.

Unless you have a super strong signal, in which case you can get tv with a paper clip. But that's like The Hulk pushing the kid on the swing - it'll go at whatever speed he wants it too, by brute force.

Just my take on it, but I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE, and certainly not an expert (or even particularly knowledgeable) in RF.

Last edited by tomfoolery; 10-Jun-2014 at 4:43 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote