TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Dec-2013, 5:17 PM   #1
Spike

Cutting Comcast in Indiana

Well, my sister is. I think she would prefer an attic mount. Her house is pretty wide open as far as obstructions. She has five TVs to hook up. Looking for antenna suggestions and any other equipment she might need. Trying to keep her out of Best Buy for this stuff.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aefe32877f58

Thanks for the help. I suggest this web site whenever I hear someone is considering dumping cable or satellite. My parents cut the cable a couple years ago and the installer used this site to set up their new antenna system. They still have the signal analysis they gave them from this site.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2013, 8:14 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hi Spike,

Muncie, nice! I have family living in Richmond. Your sister's reception is much more favorable than theirs!

First, the attic mount is not recommended. When you mount in the attic, you are introducing solid material between antenna and transmitter. This weakens the signals along with introducing unpredictable effects that can result in unreliable reception especially on the yellow shaded signals.

Second, her TV fool report is fairly nice. I'd suggest an Antennacraft HBU33 mounted outside above the roof pointed at magnetic 240 for testing purposes. The HBU33 supports hi-vhf reception which is what your sister will need for WISH RF 9 and WTHR RF 13. The rest of her signals will be UHF.

Third, 5 TVs... Channel master makes a distribution amplifier in 2, 4 or 8 port options. They can be found here: Channel Master CM3418 8-Port Distribution Amplifier

Fourth, I would not use a preamp or consider it in your sister's situation. There is plenty of good signal available. The work is going to be getting the distribution amplifier in place and having the desired results she wants.

Do your best to persuade her that mounting outside is part of the deal with over the air television. Reception works best when the antenna is free of obstructions in the direction of the transmitters. Reception through a roof qualifies as a pretty large of obstruction! Maybe you can find someone with a no longer used 50' tower and install on that. Quite a few of those in Richmond!

She has a very good chance of getting all the big signals out of Indianapolis.

Last edited by StephanieS; 30-Dec-2013 at 8:30 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote