TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Apr-2013, 1:48 AM   #1
herb

Antenna help [south metro Denver CO]—I think I might be in a spot of trouble...

After spending another frustrating session with their "customer service" last week, I think it's finally time to dump the cable and go OTA. Here's my TV Signal Analysis.

I know that I'm going to have to wrassle with the HOA but, thanks to y'all, I have all the FCC ammo I could possibly need!

The technical details: All of the homes in the area have concrete tile roofs, which I believe eliminates any in-the-attic antenna option. I already have coax running from the roof crawl space down to the basement, ready to be hooked into the OnQ 3x8 video distribution module that we use to pass around the cable signal now.

In addition to antenna suggestions, the thing I need the most help with is my big topography problem: I live in a ranch-style home, with two-story neighbors and tall trees up a slight hill between us and line-of-site to Lookout Mountain where the only broadcast antennas I care about are located (the ones at 303 & 304 deg true). See the attached PDF. Do I have to put the antenna up high enough to achieve line-of-sight to the broadcast towers, or are there other option(s)?

No matter what, I'm sure that mounting anything on our concrete-tile roof is going to be loads of fun...any suggestions for suitable mounting hardware? Am I going to have to pull up tiles to get to the roof (and underlying trusses) itself?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV antenna.pdf (374.4 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by herb; 8-Apr-2013 at 2:54 PM.
herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2013, 2:22 AM   #2
darkmatter

Hi Herb welcome to the forum. I am far from being an expert and there are by far alot more knowledgable people on this sit then me. It looks to me like most of your stations are in one general area and are LOS which is good. I am using the Antennas Direct DB4E which says it has a range of 65+ miles. This is supposed to be only a UHF antenna but I can get high VHF with it too. The other thing about this antenna is it has a 60 degree front and back beam with. If you are interested in the VHF channels they have 2 options either get a dipole VHF addon antenna and a combiner or the Clearstream C5 which has a 70 degree beam with and a 70 mile range. Depending how dense the tree coverage is. If really dense there is the 91xg Uhf antenna 25 degree beam with and a 70 mile range or the DB8E both have high db gains and should do a good job thru the trees. Like I said I am far from being an expert.

Rich
darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2013, 2:50 PM   #3
herb

Thanks DM (Rich)!
The calculator said we're LOS but we're really not; there's a slight rise between us and the mountains, and that rise is well covered by tall homes (and trees, in the LOS direction). Do I need to get the antenna up high enough on a tower to achieve actual LOS?
Old 8-Apr-2013, 3:19 PM   #4
darkmatter

LOS is always best but I get stations that are both 1 Edge and 2 Edge with little to no problems. Almost everyone will say higher is better. I'm actually suprised that no one else has given any advice yet. As for mounting on your roof I have no idea. I'm pretty sure that one of those antennas will work for you. Both the DB8E and the 91xg have high db gains. I believe the DB8E is around 17.6. Cause of the hill and the taller homes I would either use the DB8E or the 91xg faceing at about 292 degrees magnetic. These are UHF only antennas but sometimes can get VHF signals (not guarenteed). If you wasn to get the VHF channels you are going to need to either get a seperate VHF antenna and a combiner like the Clearstream C5 or the VHF dipole addition.

Rich
darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2013, 5:26 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
Thank you in advance for your help.
Can you mount a small antenna on the dormer above the garage? It could be either inside or outside. An ANT-751 might do the trick.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2013, 7:10 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Can you consider using a vent pipe mounting kit? http://www.3starinc.com/ez70_vent_pi...a_bracket.html This type of hardware is not appropriate for use on PVC or ABS pipe.

Eve and wall mounts are also worth considering. http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_mounts_and_masts.html
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Can you mount a small antenna on the dormer above the garage? It could be either inside or outside. An ANT-751 might do the trick.
ThanksTower Guy,

That ANT-751 looks very promising; I like the way it mounts. Do you think that it will be able to "see" around the neighboring houses adequately?
Old 11-Apr-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Can you consider using a vent pipe mounting kit? http://www.3starinc.com/ez70_vent_pi...a_bracket.html This type of hardware is not appropriate for use on PVC or ABS pipe.

Eve and wall mounts are also worth considering. http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_mounts_and_masts.html
Hi GUM,

Unfortunately, all our pipes are PVC However, wall or eve mounts look WAY better than "how'm I gonna get thru that concrete tile." Thanks!

Do you think that's an option if I need to get the antenna above the neighbors' houses? Could have to be several dozen feet high...
Old 11-Apr-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

How about an eve mounting bracket on the east side of the house? With just enough mast to clear the roof peak you'd be 'shooting' over?

Altitude is an antenna's friend.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote