TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-May-2015, 2:47 AM   #1
Kasm

Unexpected Results

Hello, I recently bought an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4v from BestBuy and installed it in my attic. There is about 80 feet of new Quad shielded RG6 between the antenna and my TV. The is also a two-way splitter in the middle of that 80 foot run, that is currently not connected to anything. My results so far seem a big confusing to me. I have the antenna pointed towards the Providence stations (322 degrees). The channels I get are 51, 22, 49, 12, 13, and 17. This seems odd to me because I can't get channels 21 and 10 even though they are closer to Providence and/or higher strength than channels 22 and 17. Also channels 22 and 17 are almost 180 apart from each other. I tried removing the two-splitter and used a coupling, but that had no effect.

I really don't care about channel 10, but I would like to get channel 21 and if possible the Boston channels located at 348 degrees. Would replacing the 4v with the db8e or something else help?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0403fa9f006

Thank you!
Kasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Getting the antenna out of the attic and up in the air and aimed at Boston is your best bet at getting Boston stations, depending on what is in that signal path (trees, buildings, etc). The signals from Boston are likely too weak as a result of distance and terrain obstructions to be expected to be reliable in an attic. If you have trees or other buildings in that direction, you can forget about 24/7/365 reliable reception of those weakest signals no matter what antenna you use.

That you're not getting the UHF 21 signal currently indicates that the antenna is in a dead spot for that station. Move the antenna and try again. Repeat as needed. It might take 6 inches, or 6 feet or 6 yards, in any direction - up, down, left right, forward, backwards, etc.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2015, 2:31 PM   #3
Kasm

Thank you ADTech.

If I move the antenna up to my roof, does my ground line have to run to my electrical service ground which is on the opposite side of the house? Or can I run a separate ground and/or tie into my lightning system ground?

Also, you say the Boston channels are weak, byutthe TVfool report shows the NM between 15-25. I read about 0 should be receivable. Is this not correct?
Kasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2015, 1:34 AM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The TVFool calculations are merely an estimate. They may be dead on or off by a mile. A signal path that is calculated as "2-edge" is usually off by a mile in my experience. Plus, that calculation does not include clutter and penetration losses from trees, buildings, and getting into one's attic. IOW, YMMV.

While common sense says that connecting into your lightning protection system should do the job of grounding the mast, the national electrical code makes no provision allowing for such.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote