TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Feb-2015, 6:53 PM   #1
victorj

Can I reach DC from inside my home?

I am seeking to get the DC channels along with the already strong Baltimore channels. Is it possible that I can get them from my living room with a strong indoor antenna, or from my attic? I am avoiding the roof for right now (not looking to climb up there and not ready to invest in an installer if I don't have to). The DC channels are those at about 207 Azimuth and about 30ish miles away. I am specifically desiring ION and WETA.

If it helps, my house is wood construction with vinyl siding, I have a short tree on the south side of my house which is not attic height, and a thin strip of trees across the street from my home (maybe 75-100 ft away). I currently can pick up the Baltimore channels (WJZ-TV and up on the TV Fool) without an antenna connected to my television -- signal is very strong.

Thanks for any advice.

Also was looking at the GE 24792 Attic mount antenna (for no other reason than the cost) and various other indoor options such as the mohu or winegard flat models. Would any of these be viable?

TV Fool Reports:

15 feet - my living room
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f060d6bb9bc3

25 feet - attic
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0c7a7d9f7e7

Last edited by victorj; 27-Feb-2015 at 6:55 PM.
victorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2015, 9:03 PM   #2
timgr

So you particularly want WETA 27 and WPXW 34. I'd say you have quite a good chance of receiving them if you mount a large directional UHF antenna outdoors pointed at the horizon at compass 218, in clear air above any trees or building obstructions. The small indoors antenna you are suggesting, or putting the antenna inside, or both, will make your chances of success very very slim, IMO.

Not part of the industry, but I am a professional engineer, and have picked up some understanding hanging around this forum. The TVFR is a simulation, and does not account for signal reducing ground features like aiming through trees and buildings. Usually an attic installation will work for someone who has strong local signals (green zone), does not have a bunch of trees around their building, and whose roof and sidewalls are made of comparatively transparent materials like wood, vinyl and asphalt shingles. So, that seems to be in your favor. Still, antenna performance in attics will be difficult to predict, ie usually worse than you expect. Also realize that the scale of signal on the TVFR is in decibels, which increases logarithmically. So we are talking about huge differences in power when we compare your green Baltimore stations to the weak pink stations.

If I wanted to try the attic installation, I would get an Antennas Direct DB8e and mount it in the attic, clear of any obstructions or metal, pointing at the desired stations. Then, if that did not work, I could move it outside on the roof and give it another try.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2015, 6:01 PM   #3
victorj

Thanks for the help timgr. One more question, I was looking at the DB8, and was curious if I could catch Baltimore stations as well. Since the Baltimore signals are so strong, do you think they would be captured on the back side of the DB8? Or should I go for the DB8e and aim either half at the DC towers and Baltimore towers?
victorj is offline   Reply With Quote