TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-May-2010, 7:17 PM   #1
Riverara

Half of my channels are gone!

I live in Kyle TX and have had the Terk HDTV antenna for about a month or two now. At first I got 11 channels in very clear. In the past 2 weeks most of the channels have started becoming pixelated, choppy, or non-existent. As of this morning I am down to a total of 4 channels.

Here is my TV Fool Report:

Id like to get (at minimum) the channels in the green (fox, pbs, abc, nbc, etc)

Also, my antenna is currently on our first floor and the amplifier is on. Im thinking of using a compass tonight to make sure its pointing in the exact direction. If that doesnt work, Im also thinking of moving it to the attic to see if that will help.

Other than just getting this thing to work, why do you think Im no longer getting those channels anymore? Do you think I should use a different/better antenna? And what do you think about this DIY antenna?

Thank you!
Riverara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2010, 8:14 PM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

What model of Terk HDTV antenna is it , perhaps the amplifier has gone bad? or bad coax cable. The Tv signals at your location are VERY STRONG. Here is my suggestion , get a Plain Jane indoor tv antenna and use it as a test. One of the antennas here will work fine. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233
Old 17-May-2010, 5:32 AM   #3

Even i am getting the same problem. You are lucky enough that you are getting 11 channels but here i am not even getting 7 channels completely clear..
Old 17-May-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Can also be interference of electrical devices , electronic devices , floresent lights , computers , near by transmitters and etc..
Old 17-May-2010, 5:14 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverara View Post
Other than just getting this thing to work, why do you think Im no longer getting those channels anymore? Do you think I should use a different/better antenna? And what do you think about this DIY antenna?

Thank you!
As teleview suggests, you either have a failure of the amplifier inside the Terk (if it has one), or some sort of interference has cropped up. If you've got the HDTVi, then you've got the best model Terk has, performance-wise.

A fractal antenna could work! If you want some more details, a group over at the Digital Home forums has a thread dedicated to that design. Beware, there are several other antenna threads that will suck you in!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-May-2010, 5:05 AM   #6
pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Can also be interference of electrical devices , electronic devices , floresent lights , computers , near by transmitters and etc..
Can it be an interference of high trees? There some of them in front of my house.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-May-2010, 7:49 AM   #7
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
Can it be an interference of high trees? There some of them in front of my house.
The introduction of leaves on the trees in spring might be causing your problems, especially if the trouble stations were marginal in the winter when there were no leaves.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote