TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jan-2014, 7:47 PM   #1
pbd3mon

My OTA antenna hung me out to dry...

So I promised my wife that I would have her channel ready in time for the new season of her favorite show. I put together a "coat hanger antenna" (yes I know I'm cheap) and I mounted it in my attic the day of the show. Let’s just say she wasn’t very happy with me as her station (NBC on 4.1) did not get picked up and she missed the premiere.

I aimed it at the cluster of stations NW of me and I am able to pick up some stations but not all of them.
Here is an screen shot from TV Fool of the TV Signal Analysis from my house: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae81d18a1bf4

At this point I am ready to spend some money and buy an antenna but my knowledge on the topic is very limited. I know some antennas would work better for my application than others so if anyone can chime in on a particular product they would recommend I would really appreciate it. I’m interested in picking up most/all the stations in the cluster NW of me if possible.

Some background info:
- The antenna has to be mounted in the attic (big access, lots of room)
- Besides the roof no other obstacles in the way
- About 50 feet of RG6 coax between the antenna and TV
- Signal will be going to one TV

Last edited by pbd3mon; 3-Jan-2014 at 11:12 PM.
pbd3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jan-2014, 9:18 PM   #2
StephanieS

Hi pbd3mon,

Going on the cheap with OTA reception often doesn't yield great results.

The positive is you have a nice radar plot and successful reception shouldn't be a hassle. I'd mount an Antennacraft HBU11K http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...t-%28hbu11k%29 above the roof orientated to magnetic 327 free and clear of as many obstructions as possible. I would not encourage attic installations. Attics introduce a multitude of unpredicable elements and can cause the loss of reception of even green shaded signals. Would you want to go through all this work in the attic to have NBC be unreliable?

The best chance at the reliable reception you want is mounting the antenna outside.

The HBU11k is a tremendous value that you get the antenna and J-Pole to mount it on for roof installation. The HBU11 provides the high-VHF and UHF band coverage you'll need.

With your reception plot, it's reasonable to expect nearly all the Detroit broadcasts to be reliable and strong.

Go spend a few bucks and get out of the doghouse.

LOL

Last edited by StephanieS; 3-Jan-2014 at 9:31 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
pbd3mon

Thank you for the reply Stephanie,

I am trying to learn as I go here so please correct me if I am wrong. By the looks of my signal analysis it would appear that most if not all digital channels are high-VHF? If this is the case should I be looking at getting a VHF only antenna? Any reason for my antenna to have UHF band coverage?

I do understand the possible issues the attic installation might cause. Let's say that roof mounting the antenna was not an option would it make sense to go with a more "powerful" antenna to get reliable reception from the attic? Let's say I was willing to spend more $ than the one you suggested earlier. My attic is all set up for the antenna so I would like to at least try it.
Old 4-Jan-2014, 2:38 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
Install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU11 aimed at about 331 magnetic compass direction.

Install the HBU11 Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in all directions.

The Main Group of Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels are to the North West.
Old 4-Jan-2014, 4:17 AM   #5
StephanieS

No, the majority of broadcast stations in the US are now UHF(channels 14 and up). Some high VHF channels (7-13) are in many markets. For example, in Detroit your FOX affiliate broadcasts on real channel 7. There is also a Daystar affiliate on real channel 8. Other than these two licesees, Detroit's TV broadcasters transmit on UHF.

There is also what is called low-band VHF which includes real channels 2 - 6. Detroit doesn't have stations using these channels so we don't need to worry about them much. These are less common than high-VHF broadcasts these days, however some markets still retain low-VHF broadcasts in more crowded areas.

The attic is the only option? Are you concerned with homeowners association rules? If so, there are people here that can tell you how to beat them.

I'll declare my bias out of the gate. I dislike attic installations immensely. That said, if that is your intent I would suggest that you go with a more aggressive antenna as you have correctly noted. Attics and roofs (think solid materials!) are environments which can cause multi-path, subject your antenna to household electronic interference and most damagingly, weaken a reliable outdoor signal to where it is unreliable indoor. This includes green shaded signals. Attics are just that unpredictable.

That said, I would go with a Antennacraft HBU33 if you can fit it the attic http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...na-%28hbu33%29. It is a more robust antenna that for outdoors is overkill for Detroit only, but in the attic it might be just right.

Orientate the antenna at magnetic 327 and do a tuner scan and see what you get. I can't predict reception due to attic conditions. All you can do is try it and see if it provides adequate reception for your needs.

I would not order a preamp until you test the antenna in the attic and have a performance baseline. There is fair amount of signal in the air. If you have reception issues, I would suggest testing alternate locations within the attic before installing a preamp.

I'm glad you understand the risks with attic installations. I see many people on amazon trashing antennas when they don't get the reception they desire. Often times, it is attic installations or improper installations that don't yield desired results. As long as you know you are putting the antenna in a less than idea reception situation, that's all I can ask.

Last edited by StephanieS; 4-Jan-2014 at 6:52 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2014, 1:38 PM   #6
pbd3mon

Ahh, I took a closer look at my signal analysis chart on the bottom of the report where it shows the UHF and VHF and I found the source of my mistake. The "U" in the UHF is covered by one of the station names on the chart and I mistakenly assumed it was a continuation of the VHF-Hi chart. Now I see the big picture so thank you very much for explaining that to me.

It is not about homeowner’s association rules but more about the aesthetics as the antenna would be very visible and neither of us ever liked that. That being said if for whatever reason the attic installation doesn't work out, I will look at my roof location options.

Thank you for recommending the Antennacraft HBU33. The price is reasonable and the size is not going to be an issue either. I will try this model.

As far as aiming the antenna, when using a cell app compass I would be using the true not the magnetic heading right?

I totally agree with you about the reviews you read about all products really, but that is exactly the reason why I came here instead of blindly buying a product. So thank you again for all you input Stephanie.
Old 4-Jan-2014, 6:54 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

My experience with cell phone compass apps is that they are accurate to +/- 180° Seriously, I find them entirely unreliable.

Aiming the HBU-33 is not going to require extreme precision. Simply point it in the general direction of NW. Then try adjusting in small steps, both left and right. Lock on the position that gives you the best overall reception reliability. You will find this easier if there is a signal quality meter function on your TV and you have a helper. Rescan for additional channels after adjusting the aim.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2014, 8:10 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
-----

Use a REAL and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Reason: A magnetic compass is the Real and Actual way to Know the directions of , North , East , South , West.

Cell phone compass and etc. , are not reliable.

--------------

The Federal Antenna Law over rules all , Hoa's , etc. .

Hoas's and etc. , are well aware of the Federal Antenna Law and some Hoa's and etc. , are thinking that you are not aware of the Federal Antenna Law and even if you are aware of the Federal Antenna Law that you will not understand your rights and you will believe what the Hoa and etc. tells you that you can and can not do.

Some Hoa's and etc. will twist the wording of the law.

The Federal Antenna Law says Yes you can install a Tv antenna of any size outside above the roof , in and of , such a manner so as to have Reliable Reception.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

------------------

The Current Tv Channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

--------------

The Tvfool channel list shows the.

-->Real Channels that are being Transmitted and Received at your reception location.<--

And shows the , virtual numbers.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Jan-2014 at 6:10 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-Jan-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
pbd3mon

Thank you for your input GroundUrMast.

Yes I can see how 180° could cause a problem or two lol. I will try a few apps to evaluate the accuracy or at least consistency.

GroundUrMast, fancy pump = preamp?
Old 5-Jan-2014, 2:52 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

"... GroundUrMast, fancy pump = preamp?"

Yeah. It's the short version of my stock answer to the common question, 'can I solve all my reception troubles by adding an amplifier?'
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2014, 9:42 PM   #11
pbd3mon

Thank you StephanieS, teleview and GroundUrMast for taking the time to answer my question and giving me more insight on this topic. I will let you know how it goes.