TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-May-2011, 9:05 PM   #1
rbeardsl

Leesburg Florida

here is my exact address report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d171bc0bc5294

My question is this, I want to put an antenna in place of my directv dish.

the directv dish is on the southeasternmost part of the roof.

I am questioning how high above the satellite dish mast the antenna should be...I was thinking 5 feet or so which would make the antenna about 18 feet above ground.

Most perplexing....there are two cables attached to the satellite dish that come down to a junction box on the side of the house and therein turn into black cables which disappear into the attic.

How do I know which of the two cables to use at the dish to connect to antenna...or do I need to run my own cable from antenna to junction box?
what do i have to look for and replace in the attic if anything?

any recommendations on specific antenna or can I just grab something at radio shack?

Is 18 feet high enough?

Is 115 degrees right direction?

Thanks in advance.
rbeardsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-May-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If you are getting rid of satellite service and connecting 2 Tv's. . Yes 115 degree magnetic compass is a good direction to point a Winegard HD7696P antenna. For 2 Tv's no amplifier will be needed. How many Tv's are connected?? If 2 Tv's are connected in the house then it is likley that the 2 black coax cables go to the 2 Tv's. A simple 2 way splitter can be connected to the 2 black coax cables. The Tv antenna needs to clear the roof and not be pointed into the roof. Also the HD7696P antenna needs to be level with the ground , not pointed up at the sky , not pointed down at the ground and not tilted at odd angles. Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Yes 18 feet should provide good reception.

Last edited by John Candle; 6-May-2011 at 7:55 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-May-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
rbeardsl

four4 connections now

there are four tvs with fur sepearet directv boxes vconnected to the direct tv setup now. there will be two tvs connected to the ota antenna
rbeardsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-May-2011, 1:02 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Are you disconnecting and discontinuing direct tv service?? . Most all question askers are getting rid of pay satellite and pay cable because of the high cost and going to a Tv Antenna. . If you are keeping satellite and also adding antenna then the wiring will need to be done differently. There will be 2 separate wiring systems. Need to be clear here , You say you are keeping the 4 Tv's on satellite and not adding a Tv antenna to them but you will have 2 extra Tv's on Tv antenna and not satellite???? Which end is up????

Last edited by John Candle; 6-May-2011 at 7:53 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote