TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jul-2012, 1:09 PM   #1
Weirdneighbour

two antennae aimed different on one mast

Hiya all ,,, new guy here ... finally talked wife into cutting cable and saving $150/month for crap TV ... (still going cable internet w teksavvy.. any opinions on them???)

Anyways .. onto my question ... i paid a so-called "antenna technician" (a guy came in a little car jammed w tools etc ... and a ladder that only reached below the eavestrough) ... he put two antenna up, one on the old mini dish pole on side of house aimed easterly, and one on other side of house aimed westerly ... said i should get a bunch of channels, only really recieving 5 ... i see by other posts i should be including call signs of those channels received and i will later after i get the antennae higher .. could not believe this guy didn't have a ladder to get on roof ...

i digress ... i intend to get a extension ladder, and put a tripod mounted mast at highest point of roof with both anntenae on it, each pointed in the correct direction ...

main question, can two antennae share a mast? "technician" ... could not get an amp (CM7777) to work on east pointed antenna, recieved nothing when amp powered up... amp both antennae?

this is all preliminary ...

thnx in advance, and i apologize for any forum etiquette errors ...

weirdneighbour
Weirdneighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2012, 1:31 PM   #2
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

Sorry you had a bad experence with a so called installer.

We here can help you to correct this situation and I will start by answering one of your questions. However to make specific recommendations we need a TVF report. Just follow the instructions on the top thread on the help page.

Yes you can use one mast. That is as far as I can go untill you post the report and list the model and or describe the antennas that you have.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2012, 3:00 PM   #3
teleview

Tv Reception.

The tvfool radar plot report is Very Important. Without it we are all guessing.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4.

Use the EXACT Address to make the tvfool radar report / channel list.

Make the antenna height 25 feet.

How many Tv's are/will be connected??
Old 5-Aug-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Weirdneighbour

Hiya .. back again .. sorry for delay .. work lots ..

anyways, first up here is tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900916c8fb6d6

the "antenna installer" also had problems with a cm7777 in line preamp and i have copied his e-mail to channel master here:

>I am an antenna installer. In this situation I have two antennae attached on two sides of the
>house, one pointed west to catch signals west of the customer's location (from London
>Ontario, etc.) and on at the front of the house to catch signals east (From Toronto). Their
>location is Elmira Ontario.

>The two antennae are doing it's job and are able to pull in the stronger signals from local and
>west of their position, and the one pointed at Toronto is able to pick up CBC (the strongest
>signal from Toronto). However, weaker stations are not coming in. When we attached the CM-
>7777, the signal drops in quality, while strength is increased, resulting in a loss of signal lock.
>Even the local station is not coming in with the amp in place.
>
>The distance between the two antennae is about 40 feet. Is that a factor?

The two antennas that were installed was the Antennas Direct
Clearstream 4 and the Kross TVA-003.

i don't think i'll ever hear from this guy again, which is okay ...

My intention is to get a 5' tripod w a mast on highest point of roof to support the two antennae ...
pictures are worth a thousand words, can i post pics relevant to this message?

i also need some tripod mounting tips... i.e. how to fasten to shingled roof w/o water leaking to attic

Last edited by Weirdneighbour; 5-Aug-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: neglected make and model of antennae
Weirdneighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
signals unlimited

To attach a tri-pod to your roof, stradel the peak of the roof. This will place two legs on one side and one on the other. locate each of the mounting plates on a single shingle if possible. Once a position is located insert your mast pipe in the mount and use a level to assure plum. Use a good silicon sealer on the under side of the mounting plates. I use a product by GOOP called "Plummers" from LOWES, The best sealer on the market. Use 1/4" X 1 1/2" lag bolts. Pre drill 1/8" prior to inserting the bolt. Tighten slowly with a socket wrench. Tighten untill the GOOP ozes out. Be carefull not to over tighten, that could strip the hole in the decking.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 5-Aug-2012 at 1:14 PM.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 3:28 PM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

Might be able to receive the Canada and USA stations with 1 antenna , how ever to know fore sure.

For a Accurate evaluation of reception at your location.

Please make a tvfool radar plot report using the Exact address

Make the antenna height 25 feet.

How many Tv's are/will be connected??

To make a tvfool radar plot report can also go to >>Start MAPS<< on the tvfool home page.

Move the pointer to your location , make the antenna height 25 feet and make a tvfool radar plot map.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Aug-2012 at 4:39 PM.