TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jan-2014, 1:31 PM   #1
grady43

which antenna

Made coat hanger antenna pick up 4 channels knoxville 100 miles a way thinking about getting a good out door antenna which one work best for me
grady43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2014, 1:44 PM   #2
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady43 View Post
Made coat hanger antenna pick up 4 channels knoxville 100 miles a way thinking about getting a good out door antenna which one work best for me
You'll want to post your TV Fool report using your exact address, for when the experts come along.

Also, length of run, number of sets, buildings, trees etc.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
grady43

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94c233837b82

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 6-Jan-2014 at 3:42 PM. Reason: Repaired TVFR
Old 6-Jan-2014, 2:42 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What directions do , windows , patios/balconies , face??

What floor??

What is the top floor??

-----

----------->Please make and post a tvfool report.

Use the Exact address to make the tvfool report.

If the Exact address does not work to make tvfool report.

Then enter zip code only , and move the pointer to the Exact reception location.

Make the antenna height in the tvfool report 25 feet above ground.

Post the Tvfool report.<-----------

Last edited by teleview; 8-Jan-2014 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 6-Jan-2014, 6:41 PM   #5
grady43

Mobil home on hill my land few trees I get wbir Knox me tv laying on porch with home made antenna what store bought would work best for me
Old 8-Jan-2014, 3:59 AM   #6
grady43

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady43 View Post
Mobil home on hill my land few trees I get wbir Knox me tv laying on porch with home made antenna what store bought would work best for me
http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 8-Jan-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
StephanieS

Hi Grady43,

Your reception plot isn't very favorable. The majority of signals on the list are gray and in negative db signal strengths. Generally, negative db signal strengths require great luck or extreme measures to receive. I have personally never decoded a gray shaded signal.

That said, you need an aggressive set up out of the gate. Tri-Cities' NBC and CBS are going to be your most likely shots at reception. Further, your situation requires a low-VHF capable antenna (channels 2-6) and one that supports high-VHF (channels 7-13). UHF is likely out of your reach.

I suggest an Antennacraft HD1850 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...a-%28hd1850%29. This antenna is recommended because of the gain provided and its coverage for real channels 2 - 13.

I see your plot is at the block level. I would try to rerun it at at your address level. Then look to see if additional heights of 50' and 75' make any difference.

Installing, you will want to mount the antenna above your roof towards magnetic 350 with the clearest pathway possible free obstructions. Suggest also testing a couple locations if NBC and CBS are unreliable. Sometimes moving antenna a few feet results in a difference between drop outs and stability. If I were installing this set up I might purchase a RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=044476071669.

Regarding reception of WBIR Knoxville, from Roan Mountain that reports to be 130 miles. If at a high location, reception may be better than TV fool reports. You'll just have get something in the air and see. I reran a TV fool plot at 500' at the city level of Roan Mountain. Knoxville is at magnetic 270. I recommend testing various markets like Tri-Cities, Asheville, Kingsport in addition to the already mentioned Knoxville.

Looking at your plot and not knowing anything about your location. I'd expect to see NBC and CBS from Tri-Cities with the most ease. Anything past that with your 2-edge conditions, you'll be into wildcard territory.

Best of luck.

Last edited by StephanieS; 8-Jan-2014 at 10:26 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2014, 3:04 PM   #8
grady43

Thank u very much I did get a amp at walmart got three more channel wjhl another Me tv. Weather channel singal around 64 I try new antenna home made suprise me thank u again new at this
Old 10-Jan-2014, 5:12 AM   #9
StephanieS

No problem! We were all new at one time.

With the HD1850, at least you'll have an antenna that will no matter what direction you point it and what it receives, it'll be capable of receiving all signals on RF channels 2 - 50.

SS
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote