TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Feb-2011, 9:34 PM   #1
Starman

Help With Selecting An Outdoor Antenna

Hi, I am looking for the best outdoor antenna setup for my situation. Here is TV signal analysis run at 28 feet and 50 feet.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e449dc2c48f7a

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c77a70cd15b047

The current layout is on a 28FT tower with a Channel Master rotor. The current antenna was damaged by an ice storm before digital conversation and never replaced. Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

John
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I doubt that you will be able to see WMC-DT CH-5 without very aggressive measures. Therefor a combination UHF/ High-VHF antenna would cover all the receivable stations.

You gain enough signal quality at 50 feet AGL to seriously consider installing the additional mast or tower. In either case I would suggest a deep fringe antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P or Antennacraft HBU55 A preamp will be needed for the weaker signals, a Winegard AP8700 with the FM trap optioned in would be a good choice.

There is also a multiple antenna design that comes to mind that would be appropriate if you are interested in getting 'every possible station'. For clarity I'll hold back on that unless you are interested.

Consumer grade rotators have been getting negative reviews as of late, but I've seen the Channel Master CM9521 recommended by other regular posters here. The Hy-Gain AR-40 rotator has quite a bit more 'meat' to it, as it's price tag would suggest.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Feb-2011 at 12:36 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2011, 1:01 AM   #3
Starman

I really only need to get KFVS-DT and KPSD-DT but anything else would be a plus. Do you think I could get those two channels at my current 28FT tower with either antenna and the amp? There are no trees or buildings and flat farm land here.

Thanks Again!
Old 25-Feb-2011, 1:31 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Short Answer: Yes

Not as Short: If you would be happy with those two stations plus KBSI, omit the rotator. Instead, use an HBU-33 aimed at about 15°. Add the preamp only if you need it. (If you split to more than two sets or have a long coax run.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Feb-2011 at 1:34 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Feb-2011, 2:07 AM   #5
Starman

Thanks for your responses.
Old 25-Feb-2011, 6:08 AM   #6
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

28 feet is a good height at your location , going to 50 feet shows very little improvement. . Check out free satellite programing--> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265

Last edited by John Candle; 25-Feb-2011 at 10:05 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote