TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Sep-2014, 3:59 PM   #1
jrodder

Need some advice on building replacement antenna

Hello all! I currently have installed a DIY antenna using these plans:

http://www.mikestechblog.com/joomla/...s.html?start=1

It works pretty well, BUT... it wasn't really designed for hi-vhf apparently. I am trying to get a particular station that is on VHF channel 10, WOIO-DT, here's my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243b6e3f02912

currently aimed pretty close to magnetic north. (compass wasn't the greatest)

So I was thinking about trying to redo the antenna, I mean it pulls real channels 34 and 26 below it at lower strength, so I am assuming it's a VHF thing. The whiskers all measured about about 7.5" long with a 4" spacing at the "V".

Can anyone offer suggestions? Can one antenna be built to pick up both or do you build one for each and marry them with a cable? Would a commercial offering make more sense?
jrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2014, 4:15 PM   #2
tomfoolery

If you're happy with it except for lack of h-vhf reception, then I would just add something like the Y10-7-13 for $44, coupled with a UVSJ (Radio Shack has them, if you prefer a local store). It's hard to beat that price. I don't think I'd bother with its little brother, the Y5-7-13, as that channel is pretty weak already, and 2-edge to boot.

If you're going to use a preamp, use one with separate uhf and vhf inputs, then you won't need the passive UVSJ.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2014, 4:31 PM   #3
jrodder

Solid advice. Not sure how I'd mount it really though, as I only have the one mounting pole at the moment. So, doing something silly like changing one of the phases to much longer whiskers wouldn't do it? Maybe I'll spring for that and see what happens. I have an amp on that line right now, but not sure it's really doing any good, as it's supplied for cable television. (Antronix FRA1-1510 +15db 54-1002mhz forward)
Old 8-Sep-2014, 4:37 PM   #4
Claybuster

If you are the type of guy who like to DIY your antenna and you have some time to make a model with precision, there is the Gray-Hoverman antenna models (with reflectors and narrods for better vhf reception).

http://clients.teksavvy.com/~nickm/gh_n_uV.html
Claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2014, 4:42 PM   #5
jrodder

I've got my eye on this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

I mean, if I am going to spend 50 bucks and have to tinker and figure out how to mount both antennas, I'd be keen to spend more and just replace it with one that would do the job and be done with it.

Would this antenna be sufficient to pick up everything in range by pointing it to Cleveland?
Old 8-Sep-2014, 4:57 PM   #6
tomfoolery

Also consider the HBU55, which is just a little longer, at around $100. But Winegard is certainly highly regarded, and has been around forever. I'm just not sure the higher Winegard gain figures are accurate, or using the same scale at least.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2014, 5:07 PM   #7
jrodder

Indeed, for a slightly higher price it seems like that one would most certainly take care of the issue. I like to tinker as much as the next guy, but not a fan of hauling a truck from work with the 28' ladder every time to make adjustments or changes. Better to pony up some $$$ and just have something that works, so I can watch the Cleveland Browns stink it up. (In HD)