TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Aug-2010, 8:19 PM   #1
Hydrographer1

Unable to receive PBS signal!

I live in Roseville, CA 95661. I recently installed a Winegard MS2002 amplified antenna on the Dish Network mast on my 2-story roofline. I receive several of the local Sacramento station signals fine. However, I can't seem to pick up KVIE, the Sacramento PBS station, which is VHF. I am able to pick up a UHF station, KTXL, which has the same azimuth as KVIE, 204 degrees. All others that I receive have an azimuth of 202 or 203 degrees. I am able to receive the only other VHF station, KXTV but this station's azimuth is 202 degrees. There is a two story house behind mine, which might be possibly 10-15 ft higher than the height of my antenna, so I'm not certain if this is an issue. Otherwise, no hills that would be in the path.

I am really perplexed by the fact that I can't pick up this PBS station. It's tower, located in Walnut Grove, is 36.1 miles from my house, which is well within the range of the MS2002. BTW, the tvfool antenna selection guide indicates that an antenna set on the tv would be adequate for "yellow zone" stations, is this true??

A few others had suggested that I mount a Winegard HD7694P on the Dish Network mast instead. I would appreciate other's advice before proceeding with another antenna purchase.
Hydrographer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2010, 8:19 AM   #2
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrographer1 View Post
I live in Roseville, CA 95661. I recently installed a Winegard MS2002 amplified antenna on the Dish Network mast on my 2-story roofline. I receive several of the local Sacramento station signals fine. However, I can't seem to pick up KVIE, the Sacramento PBS station, which is VHF. I am able to pick up a UHF station, KTXL, which has the same azimuth as KVIE, 204 degrees. All others that I receive have an azimuth of 202 or 203 degrees. I am able to receive the only other VHF station, KXTV but this station's azimuth is 202 degrees. There is a two story house behind mine, which might be possibly 10-15 ft higher than the height of my antenna, so I'm not certain if this is an issue. Otherwise, no hills that would be in the path.

I am really perplexed by the fact that I can't pick up this PBS station. It's tower, located in Walnut Grove, is 36.1 miles from my house, which is well within the range of the MS2002. BTW, the tvfool antenna selection guide indicates that an antenna set on the tv would be adequate for "yellow zone" stations, is this true??

A few others had suggested that I mount a Winegard HD7694P on the Dish Network mast instead. I would appreciate other's advice before proceeding with another antenna purchase.
The problem with the MS2002 is it's omnidirectional, with no higher gain in any specific direction, recieving in a circle at the same gain in any direction....you basically get what you get, unable to pull any weak station by pointing it at the weak station, there is no point on the MS2002, and it's already amplified, so you can not add an amp. If you want that PBS station, a directional antenna is needed...the HD7694p is directional...
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2010, 2:38 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrographer1 View Post
I am really perplexed by the fact that I can't pick up this PBS station. It's tower, located in Walnut Grove, is 36.1 miles from my house, which is well within the range of the MS2002.
The evidence shows that the MS2002 doesn't actually work at 36.1 miles in the location that you installed it.

Forget the ranges mentioned in the marketing hype and then try to understand why the MS2002 isn't working. It could be multipath, it could be blockage from your neighbor's house, or a combination of both of them.

If you moved the antenna around you may find a location where it worked. If you raised the antenna you might find that it works OK too.

Yet, if you want to leave the antenna where it is for aesthetic reasons, the MS2002 will need to be replaced with a directional antenna.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 2-Aug-2010 at 2:40 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote