TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jul-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
kbsmall84

What setup

Hi everyone. I'm considering cutting the cord, and would like some help with what setup I should have. Here is the link to my analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6584914971f

I would appreciate any suggestions you can give. Best case scenario would be an antenna at each tv, or one in the attic with a splitter(HOA may not allow an antenna above the roof line). Most of the time, there will be only one tv running, but there could be two at a time every now and then.

Is a DVR worth it? Also, I would like to get subscriptions to Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

I would plan on keeping my 50/25 internet with Verizon.

Thank you in advance.
kbsmall84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2014, 5:16 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I suspect that your HOA is well aware of the fact that they are prevented from regulating your choice to install an antenna for reception of over the air TV signals. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule Only if you exceed 12' above the peak of you roof, can the local city or county require you to obtain a permit. The HOA is barred from enforcing rules against outdoor TV antennas.

You can try an indoor or attic mounted antenna. How successful you are will be influenced by the materials used in your home's construction. Metal in siding, roofing and insulation materials will have a very negative impact. Also, indoor antennas are going to pick up more interference from devices inside the home.

I'd try an Antennacraft HBU-33 in the attic. If reception conditions are poor, it can be moved outside. I'd also avoid the temptation to add any sort of amplifier to the system.

The OTA TV system should not be connected to any cable carrying cable-TV or Internet services. If the two systems are combined incorrectly, you may cause interference to licensed radio services such as police, fire and aviation.

I use my PVR DVR function often. You can use a stand alone device or a computer with an OTA tuner. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 5-Jul-2014 at 5:21 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote