TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Oct-2010, 2:52 PM   #1
ravenjim

Help With Reception

Hello All,

I currently have an older vhf/uhf Channel Master long fringe antenna installed in my attick. The channel I really need to pick up is wjz-tv 13 out of Baltimore. Channels 2,11,45,54 all come in with no signal loss. Channel 13 the one I need keeps losing its signal. There is no amplifier used here and I need to keep the antenna in the attick and not on the roof.

Is there a better antenna you can recommend that will bring in this station which is only 55 miles away. I've tried tilting the angle and moving it to different locations with no luck. There are no trees or buildings for at least 4 miles and then a small ridge to get over.

Thanks in Advance, Jim

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cef3f55aa1cb9b
ravenjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2010, 3:10 PM   #2
No static at all

Hello Jim,

My first move would be to add an FM trap since WBAL is doing well already. You are well within WJZ's predicted coverage area, even with their directional signal.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2010, 3:31 PM   #3
ravenjim

I will try the FM trap and see if it helps. I guess ebay has them. Seems Radio Shack discontinued them.
Old 26-Oct-2010, 3:38 PM   #4
No static at all

Yes, you can find them on E-bay, or you may want to get an HLSJ if you can get it for the same price. The HLSJ does a better job with FM stations below 92 Mhz.
Old 29-Oct-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
ravenjim

Purchased the HLSJ with plug but it did not make a difference. Still getting a weak signal with drops and pixel distortion.

I am thinking that I will need to get another type of antenna. The VHF Hi-Band Winegard YA-1713 with a Channel Master CM-7777 pre-amp. I am only concerned with channel wjz-13 Baltimore which carries Ravens games. I don't care about any other channel as I have cable tv.

Is this the best option for picking up this station?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by ravenjim; 29-Oct-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 29-Oct-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You need to get the antenna out of the attic and onto the roof!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
ravenjim

I need to make this work in the Attic. Roof is out of the question. The present antenna I'm using is a UHF/vhf older style. I'm thinking that a vhf only with preamp might get me just a bit more signal that I need. Lots of people have had success with this antenna setup.

So, is this impossible or highly unlikely to succeed?

Thanks
Old 30-Oct-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Sorry, but the roof is cutting down on your signal and creating multipath interference: if you can't/won't go outdoors, a preamp isn't going to help you.
Old 30-Oct-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
No static at all

Jim, Tigerbangs is correct. Getting something outside will likely be your best bet at this point. I'm was hoping the trap would help somewhat since channel 11 is working for you. I've tried attic antennas here before, but both 11 & 13 were a bust even with much stronger signals. The antenna actually worked better just sitting on the ground than it did in the attic.

One other remote possibility worth investigating may be some type of RF interference near the TV or antenna. (computer, soundbar, etc . . ) A powered speaker system on my TV completely wiped out a weak VHF 12, even with an outdoor antenna on the other end of the house.
Old 30-Oct-2010, 1:21 AM   #10
ravenjim

Well the Winegard YA-1713 isn't too expensive. So I might try it and if it doesn't work in the Attic then on game day I'll have to rig something up outside just to get that channel. Sounds like alot of extra work for one channel but I love my football, lol.

Do you think I need a pre-amp? I know it only helps to boost the signal the antenna is receiving to the TV.

Thanks, Jim
Old 30-Oct-2010, 1:40 AM   #11
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenjim View Post
Do you think I need a pre-amp?
No, a preamp won't help you with 13. You're too close to WGAL as well.
Old 30-Oct-2010, 4:16 AM   #12
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

What;s the issue with rooif-mounting your antenna, anyway?
Old 30-Oct-2010, 1:00 PM   #13
ravenjim

My roof is covered with solar pv panels. Birds nesting on the antenna would crap all over them and shading the panels could be an issue. Also there is some kind of ordinance in our development prohibiting antennas, but I don't think that is legal anymore. The other reason is I don't like the aesthetics of them.
Old 31-Oct-2010, 3:00 AM   #14
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

With solar panels on top of a roof with an attic-mounted antenna, it's a wonder that you can pick up anything at all! if you aren't going to mount the antenna outside, you are going to have to suffer with what you have...
Old 31-Oct-2010, 1:14 PM   #15
ravenjim

Understood. With the results I'm getting now, my thinking is to go with the Winegard YA-1713 which is a VHF specific hi gain antenna that might just get a little better signal and not as many drops. It's also a more narrow antenna that I can maneuver around in the Attic and that might help also. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to go outside with a temporary mounting just for game days.
I'll post my results and let you know how this works out.

Thanks for all the help,
Jim
Old 6-Nov-2010, 3:06 PM   #16
ravenjim

I hate to say you told me so. The Wineguard 1713 was no better in the Attic with or without the CM-7777 preamp.

But not all is lost. I took the Wineguard outside and at ground level I receive a great signal. With the antenna being smaller than the older CM I can easily set it up outside on game day without having to mount it permanently.

Now I have a new CM-7777 preamp that I need to get rid of. If interested let me know.

Thanks again for all the help here,

Jim