TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Aug-2013, 7:34 PM   #1
Ih8cable

Question Seeking OTA Set-up Advice

Hi Guys!
I have finally decided to unplug from the crappy (& expensive) U-worst! I have a old but unused Radio Shack VU-190XR UHF/VHF/FM antenna & a new Channel Master CM-9521A Rotator. I was planning to roof mount (at about 25 feet?) the antenna and feed through a Winegard HDA-200 distributor amp to my 4 tvs and FM stereo.

I was told by the local Radio Shack manager that the antenna should be fine for HD even though it's an old model. But before I install I thought I'd make sure I'm doing this right. So, maybe I could get some feedback on this. Is this antenna /setup adequate for bringing in the maximum amount of channels in my area? The VU-190XR outdoor HDTV-ready antenna has a range of 100 miles FM & UHF and 190 miles VHF. It has a 160-inch boom length and 95-inch width and a 38-inch height and is generally used in green CEA zones.

Second, Am I able to feed my FM stereo through the Winegard HAD-200?

Any other tips regarding setting this up would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
John of San Diego, California

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae058fc7957e
Ih8cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2013, 8:23 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given that you already own the VU-190... OK, try it. It's much larger than needed in your application.

You may get away with using a distribution amplifier, but with the very strong signal levels, if you have not bought one yet, save your money. An amplifier of any type is likely to cause trouble by being overloaded. If that happens you'll have less, not more reliable reception.

Given the information in your TVFR, I would point an RCA ANT-751 due north, no rotator, no amplifier, and expect to have plenty of power to drive a passive 4-way or even 8-way splitter.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Ih8cable

Thanks for the reply GUM!

Really? Larger than needed? Good to hear !...(I think. ). I don't really know how to interpret the analysis, but I did notice some Los Angeles stations listed that were 127 miles away and was wondering. I should get those stations right ?

I could always leave out the amp. Just thought I might need an amp to push to 4 tvs & my FM stereo. (The FM will work with this amp right?) And thought it would give me the option to add on in the future. Also, (please excuse my ignorance here ) but I thought I'd be okay because that amp (HDA-200) has adjustable gain (0-18db) and I could just turn it down. No?

If I don't use the amp can you recommend an 8-way splitter model/brand & frequency range?

Thanks Again,
John
Old 22-Aug-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quick tutorial... With an 8-way splitter and a large house, it's rare to encounter more than 20 dB total distribution system loss. (An 8-way splitter should have no more than 12 dB of loss and that leaves you another 8 dB of cable loss which translates to roughly 150' of RG-6 coax to get from the antenna, to the splitter and then to a given TV.) So when I look at NM (noise margin) values of +40 and higher, as shown in your TVFR, that tells me that even if you have no antenna gain and no amplification, your are going to have net NM in excess of 20 dB. Translation - No, you don't need an amplifier for the local signals.

I have yet to have any problems using Ideal brand splitters. Those with bandwidth ratings of 5 to 1000 MHz are fine in almost all OTA applications. I have used the Satellite grade (5 to 2300 MHz) only when mixing OTA and MoCA Ethernet modems on the same coax.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13090
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13034

The strong local signals are going to make reliable LA reception quite a challenge. However, there's no harm in pointing the 190 at LA to see what you get. In fact, it would not be a big surprise to find that you get good local reception with the antenna pointed that way. If you want to chase after the LA signals, you may want to experiment with a Winegard LNA-200 preamp. However, you may find yourself building two separate antenna systems. The LA system may need to have stacked antennas for improved F/B ratio and single channel filters for suppression of the strong local signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2013, 8:12 PM   #5
teleview

The local Tv stations/channels are Very Strong Signal Strength at your location.

Aim a ANT751 antenna at about 357 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Recommend ->Do Not<- use Any Type Or Kind of antenna system amplifier.

The Strong local Tv stations will most likely overload a amplifier and be the cause of reception problems.

If you will like to 'Test' reception of the L.A. stations and receive the local stations , aim the VU190 at the L.A. stations.

Any cable delivered services , cable tv , cable internet , cable phone , Must Be on separate coax from the coaxes that are used for the antenna system.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Aug-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 25-Aug-2013, 7:54 PM   #6
Ih8cable

So, Tele are you saying no type of amp at all? OR I'm okay with using a pre-amp but not a distribution amp? Well, I'm sure can exchange or return the HDA. It's the only thing that I bought recently. If I'm okay with the pre-amp are there any other brands/models of you can recommend?
I'm disabled so I want to try to get this right the first time!- If that's possible! If it's not going to benefit me I'll scrub the amp usage altogether. I'm sure doing it once is going to kick my butt!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your help! You're great!