TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Nov-2010, 6:55 AM   #1
Tin Roof Rusted

Just getting started in Port Angeles WA

"cut the cable" 3 yrs ago and left FTA when nag3 hit in 09. Taking a break from the boob tube was nice, but now I want to watch some TV again. I have a lot of mast and can even use a 40ft tower if needed, I have a few Hy Gain rotors as well...
For now I just want to use one TV but may add a couple more for a total of 3 tvs. The mounting location that I plan to use will allow me to use short runs of coax, 35 to 60 ft. Any Ideas ?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3f609b8fc83

Thanks.
Tin Roof Rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Nov-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

Receivable channels are in VHF LOW 2 thru 6 , VHF HI 7 thru 13 , UHF 14 thru 69 , All channels , some channels are not very strong so use a big a All Channel antenna , Winegard HD8200U all channel antenna with a heavy duty rotor. I suggest with out a preamp for now. I suggest using the 40 foot tower. Your location has both Analog and Digital channels. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 6:39 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

Looks like K24IC is PBS and MHz Worldview - both very good programing. . K62FS is CBS and The CW . . K30Fl is RTV - Retro tv network , sitcoms from the past.
Old 7-Nov-2010, 5:52 PM   #4
Tin Roof Rusted

John
Thanks for the input, I looked at the 8200 you recommended and being that I am into the idea of more aluminum in the air the better I like that antenna. Are there bigger ones you would suggest? I have plenty of rotor power and I was thinking of possibly doing some TV DX next spring. As far as coax goes what would you recommend and do people still use twin lead?
I was told retro TV was a great channel oh yea, and best of all its free......
Old 7-Nov-2010, 6:05 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=491

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=291

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 6:42 PM   #6
Tin Roof Rusted

GUM.. Thanks for the links... WTFDA site is killer! When I was a kid and lived in Utah I used to hook up a old BW tv to our old TV antenna on the roof and get DX . One time I watched a Oregon station for a few min, man that was a blast. At that time (early 70s ) I remember the CB and 6 mtr skip was crazy strong. Cant wait for this solar cycle to get going, mother nature is sure taking her time.
Old 7-Nov-2010, 7:50 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

Twin lead receives to much interference , it's best to use RG-6 coax with a ground block and ground. The HD8200U is the best heavy duty high gain all channel consumer grade antenna available now days.
Old 8-Nov-2010, 5:25 AM   #8
Tin Roof Rusted

Okay Thanks JC, I have decided to get the 8200 antenna and some new RG-6 Coax. I think I will put it up about 20ft and see what happens. Thanks again guys and I will post my results ASAP.