TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Apr-2015, 4:19 PM   #1
naperjp

Splitting Antenna Signal

I recently installed a Winegard 7697 along with an LNA-200 preamplifier in my attic. I live about 30 miles SW of the signal sources in Chicago.

My current setup has only one TV, which is the one that will be used most often. I am looking to add a 2nd TV in a bedroom right below that antenna and am trying to figure out the best way to split that while maintaining optimal signal quality at the main TV and at the newly wired bedroom TV.

Current Setup:
- Antenna
- 1' to PreAmp
- 6' across attic to power inserter
- 25' across attic to lower attic and 3 way splitter
- 50' down 1 1/2 floors to main TV

What is my best option for wiring the 2nd bedroom TV to maximize signal for that TV, but also maintain optimal quality for the main TV that's already wired?
- 35' run from splitter back across attic and down to bedroom under the antenna?
- Somehow split signal at antenna and run 10' down to bedroom TV?
- If splitting signal closer to antenna what and where is the best way to do that? Before pre-amp, or after? Before power, or after?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

John

TV Fool Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24334488d11ea
naperjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2015, 4:26 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You have plenty of signal power. Move the splitter to the output of the power inserter, then drop a new lead down into the upstairs bedroom. No need to get fancy (although you certainly could).

Also, replace the splitter with one that has the needed number of ports. Good practice to prevent weird results.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2015, 4:42 PM   #3
naperjp

I was hoping to be able to do this without spending too much additional on cable. If I move the splitter to the power inserter, I'll need to buy another 75' worth of coax to do a new run from there down to the main TV as my current cable isn't long enough.

If that option will provide much better results than anything else I'll do it. Will that give me a better signal at the main TV than my current configuration with the splitter further from the power inserter?

Thanks for the help and the quick reply!
Old 15-Apr-2015, 7:09 PM   #4
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by naperjp View Post
If I move the splitter to the power inserter, I'll need to buy another 75' worth of coax to do a new run from there down to the main TV as my current cable isn't long enough.
Since it is inside and out of the weather, I don't think you would have a problem to just add the required length of cable to the existing cable run using a barrel connector.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2015, 7:19 PM   #5
naperjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Since it is inside and out of the weather, I don't think you would have a problem to just add the required length of cable to the existing cable run using a barrel connector.
My signal is already a little dicey on some channels. I'm not sure if that's from having a splitter with unused ports (I do have terminators on the unused ports), poor antenna positioning, longer runs between amp and splitter, etc. I wasn't sure if adding another connection mid-way between the splitter and the tv would degrade the signal even further, and if so how much.

Funny thing is, typically in Chicago CBS has the worst signal, but for me that's coming in better than NBC is....
Old 16-Apr-2015, 2:32 PM   #6
naperjp

How much signal loss would I suffer using a barrel connector between a 25' and 50' RG6 cable as opposed to buying a new 75' RG6 cable?
Old 16-Apr-2015, 5:12 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

A negligible amount, a fraction of a dB or so.. If it made any difference in your reception, you have bigger problems.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2015, 9:01 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Just to confirm, is the antenna in the attic or is it outside?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote