Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
WildmanCAL

Reception issue (Campbell/San Jose, CA)

Hi everyone-

I am currently located at the following for OTA reception:

TV Fool location.

I am having issues getting (and keeping) signal for ABC (7.x) and NBC (11.x). I have them "locked' into the television, a Philips 47" LCD, but the reception is spotty and often I get major dropouts or no picture at all.

My antenna is a DB4 HDTV Mid Range UHF Antenna, mounted 12' on my roof, pointing roughly 316°, with only trees in blocking clear line-of-sight.

I am wondering if either

a) a pre-amplifier would help improve the signal strength and reception
or
b) a better antenna like the DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna, ClearStream4 Outdoor Ultra Long-Range Digital TV (DTV) Antenna, or ClearStream5 High Gain Digital VHF Antenna.

Lastly, would having the antenna higher up (another 4') help me with increased signal strength.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
WildmanCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

KGO is broadcast on real channel 7. KNTV is broadcast on real channel 12. Both channels are in the high VHF band. The DB-4 does not offer much performance below the UHF band.

The CS-5 is specifically designed for high VHF operation. KGO tends to be a 'tough get'. I'd risk being accused of overkill and add a Winegard YA1713. merge the signals from each antenna with a UVSJ (UHF / VHF Signal Joiner).

Increased antenna height will usually improve your situation, particularly if it results in clearing obstructions. You are already enjoying LOS (line of sight) conditions so I doubt you would notice any major change in signal levels.

An amplifier is used to overcome loss in cable and splitters that are connected to the output of the amplifier. Amplifiers do not receive signal from the air, that's the job of the antenna. Your TVFR indicates that you should have enough signal without amplification... enough to drive four to eight sets.

Install an antenna designed to cover the channels of interest and you'll have solved the problem.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
WildmanCAL

Is there an antenna you would recommend which will do both UHF & VHF rather than having two antennas on my roof?

And, thank you very much for the information!
Old 29-Sep-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The Winegard HD7694P is a reliable option. As it's model number implies, it's designed to receive real channels 7 through 69. Plenty of gain and directivity to deal with the apparent multipath problems that many KGO views seem to have.

There are smaller antennas that 'on paper' should work, but you're not the first to have to work at reliable reception of KGO.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Sep-2011 at 3:13 PM.
Old 29-Sep-2011, 2:21 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanCAL View Post
My antenna is a DB4 HDTV Mid Range UHF Antenna, mounted 12' on my roof, pointing roughly 316°, with only trees in blocking clear line-of-sight.
The DB4 that you have is a UHF only antenna. The stations that are unreliable are on VHF channels.

I'd add a VHF only Y10-7-13 aimed at 316° to the existing DB4 using a UVSJ splitter/joiner.

At the same time I'd play with the aiming of the DB4 to see if you can get the stations at 10° without hurting the SF reception. Start with an aim of 350° and try it.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2011, 4:13 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your TVfool suggests that KGO and KNTV should have plenty of signal power.

As long as multi-path doesn't occur (it often does), one of our VHF-dipoles for the C2v attached to the back of the DB4 ought to bring in those two channels.

If you'd like to try one out, I'll be happy to send one to you to try before resorting to a second antenna. Just send me a PM with your contact info and I'll get one on the way.

We've placed several of the new C2v antennas in the San Jose area with very good success so far. I'm working to make a simple kit for a more universal retrofit and your location appears to be a good fit for a trial.

Look forward to hearing from you!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 29-Sep-2011 at 4:56 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2011, 4:34 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Once again, AD proves they care about their customers.

Nice!

Old 3-Oct-2011, 9:20 PM   #8
ADTech

I've got a VHF dipole kit on the way to the OP for him to try out.

I've also send a kit out to another customer who saw this thread who owns a C4. While this one is a lot more sketchy as he's quite a bit further down Hwy 101, I decided to give it a shot anyway. Perhaps, by this coming weekend, these folks will have a chance to test out the conversions.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 10-Oct-2011, 1:40 AM   #9
WildmanCAL

VHF dipole kit received and installed! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU AntennasDirect Customer Service for your stellar help with this.

The kit solved the problem and now I am getting VHF channels 7 & 12 (stations KGO & KNTV). I added a 6' conduit into my my j-mount (40" j-mount @ 1 1/2" diameter with a 72" conduit @ 1 1/4") giving my antenna some lift into the air. This helped with some UHF channels which were dropping on occasion.

Thank you to everyone for all your assistance with resolving this issue. People like you seem rare to find these days with all the flaming people do on message boards. It's nice to find people who actually want to help other without insulting them or expecting things in return.
Old 11-Oct-2011, 5:41 PM   #10
kzoojason76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
I've got a VHF dipole kit on the way to the OP for him to try out.

I've also send a kit out to another customer who saw this thread who owns a C4. While this one is a lot more sketchy as he's quite a bit further down Hwy 101, I decided to give it a shot anyway. Perhaps, by this coming weekend, these folks will have a chance to test out the conversions.
Do you know if AD will be selling these dipole kits?? I have a C4 that picks up everything except one single VHF station. The station I would be interesting in picking up is WJBK 7 (2-1)

Here is my report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b534ad83839d

So far I love the C4. I couldn't ask for a better antenna!
kzoojason76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Oct-2011, 8:13 PM   #11
ADTech

Wildmancal,

Great news. Thanks for the feedback. The C4 owner south of you reported excellent results although he did have to asd an FM filter due to a close-in FM station interfering with KGO.

KazooJason76,

We've got an order for the kits in production. I expect them to arrive around another 6 weeks or so. In the meantime, I'm assembling some for specific needs.

Your TVfool plot is a low-probability for success for a dipole kit, but I'm certainly game to try it if you are.

Send me your name and shipping address by private message and I'll ship you some parts.

Old 25-Jul-2012, 8:52 PM   #12
WildmanCAL

Since this thread is already here, I figured I would add/post to it.

During the day, I often get several channels which give me no picture. These channels (4.1, 5.1, 9.x) give a black picture. Current weather conditions are sunny, clear skies, temperature of about 76 degrees.

Can sunny conditions such as this cause the signals to be weaker?

Thanks.
Old 26-Jul-2012, 2:28 PM   #13
ADTech

Summer-time atmospheric inversions cause all sorts of interesting problems in your area.

Your immediate weather is often less important than the condition of the atmosphere in the whole signal path.

Old 28-Jul-2012, 2:00 AM   #14
WildmanCAL

Thanks for the information, ADTech. Much appreciated.

On another note, I have decided I need to upgrade my antenna as I am having problems pulling in signals from a few stations I'd like to get. Currently, I have my antenna pointed at 314° and I can get most of the stations I need. However, the two stations which are located at 358° (36 & 50) are having a lot of dropout.

Would the Winegard HD7694P cover the range I need (from 300° to 358°) and pull in the channels I want or should I consider something like the AntennasDirect DB4e (with the VHF dipole from my current DB4) be better for what I need. Also, would I be better off using my current DB4 pointed at 358° and then install the above-mentioned Winegard combining the signals with a UVSJ?

Thanks, again, for all your help.

Last edited by WildmanCAL; 28-Jul-2012 at 2:15 AM.