TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jun-2011, 5:54 PM   #1
virginian

Channel Master 4228HD for VHF? Arlington, VA.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...001bb594efbfe9

I am setting up a OTA air antenna for my condo. Currently for a testbed we have a C2 on the roof, and get most all of the Baltimore and DC channels. With the exception of the VHF 11,13 Baltimore channels, and sometimes the local DC channel 9 is flaky.

I have seen some reviews of the channel master 8 bay, and while it is not a VHF antenna it seems to do have a small db gain with channels 9, 11, and 13. Would you recommend this antenna or something else?

Also we are looking at getting a blonder-tongue amp for the building. We will split the antenna with 50 units. Is this a good brand, or would you recommend something else?
virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2011, 6:45 PM   #2
No static at all

You may just need an FM trap to fix channel 9, but the C-2 is not the best choice for your situation. I wouldn't recommend a bowtie style antenna in our area either as they are less effective at rejecting signal reflections.

The Winegard 7694 should provide an excellent signal on all the major DC / Baltimore stations except MY 24 out of Baltimore. You may even be able to bring in the MHZ channels out of Merrifield & Manassas reliably as well with a bit of fine tuning. I have a 7694 & RCA ANT-751 sitting in my shed you can test with if you like.

Not sure what to recommend for distribution as signals are pretty hot & may overload. I've tried the Channel Master distribution amp in North Arlington & was very surprised how well it handled strong signals, but your strengths on WFDC are searing.

Last edited by No static at all; 23-Jun-2011 at 7:02 PM.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-2011, 1:37 AM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian View Post
The VHF 11,13 Baltimore channels, and sometimes the local DC channel 9 is flaky.

I have seen some reviews of the channel master 8 bay, and while it is not a VHF antenna it seems to do have a small db gain with channels 9, 11, and 13.

We will split the antenna with 50 units.
With 50 units watching, don't try any shortcuts. Get a real VHF antenna.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-2011, 6:11 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Given the size of your project, here are some guidelines re. the design of an MATV system. Not the final word on the subject but helpful (IMO).

http://www.dipolnet.com/document-print-BIB05.html

Serving this number of users justifies the use of commercial grade components. Blonder-Tongue, Pico Macom and other names come to mind. The Holland Agile Digital Signal Processor comes to mind... http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Produc...Code=HPH-860AD One per real RF channel would be used to shift the antenna derived signal to a different RF channel, with the output level stabilized and at a level that could drive the distribution network.

I agree with TG, you will want to get this right the first time. With 50 users, your phone will ring at 3:06 AM if there is a problem. You will be a small scale cable provider.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Jun-2011 at 6:31 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Find Structured wiring business and installers by typing in , structured wiring city state in the google search box. Here are commercial antennas and distribution equipment , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=491
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote