TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-May-2010, 4:03 AM   #1
eq2675

Big attic antenna or little outdoor antenna

I want to pickup the major OTA signals in downtown Atlanta that are about 25 miles south from me. They are all at 141 to 149 degrees

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd7238a9261671

I have the option of using a large attic mounted antenna or a small (less than 1 meter) outside antenna. I am in an HOA and have been on the Board of Directors for the past 10 years, so I know the rules.

Please give me your thoughts for location and make and model of antenna. BTW, there are 2 Samsung post 2008 digital TV's. 1 has a 2009 Magnavox DVR attached in line to the current Comcast cable connection. House is 2 story raised ranch with huge high roof attic.

Thanks

Last edited by eq2675; 6-May-2010 at 4:08 AM.
eq2675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-May-2010, 6:16 AM   #2
teleview

Thumbs down Are HOA rules the same as the Rules that are the Truth and the Facts.

Here are the Rules that are the Truth and the Facts. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . . My suggestion is that you live by Your Own hoa rules. The rest of us will live with the Truth and the Facts.

Last edited by teleview; 6-May-2010 at 8:02 AM. Reason: To say something nice.
Old 6-May-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
eq2675

Our HOA even has a link to http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html on our web site.

Please enlighten me, could you point to the area that allows antennas larger than 1 meter for OTA? Satellite dishes are what we normally see in our neighborhood.

Thanks
Old 6-May-2010, 3:47 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

On that page, under the question "What types of antennas are covered by the rule?", item 3) has your answer:

Quote:
An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.
There is no restriction on size here. The 1-meter size applies to dishes and wireless cable antennas. However, the following clouds the issue a little:

Quote:
Q: I want a conventional "stick" antenna to receive a distant over-the air television signal. Does the rule apply to me?

A: No. The rule does not apply to television antennas used to receive a distant signal.
I'm not quite sure what is meant here.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 6-May-2010 at 3:56 PM. Reason: Add details
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-May-2010, 5:45 PM   #5
LovesTheOTA

I'm not sensing a lot of love for the HOA around here. Some dickwad neighbor called by-law on me when I erected my antenna. Turns out by-law told them to go suck a d*ck. I'm up in Canada so no FCC protection just local by-laws.

My suggestion is that you erect a 65ft tower and mount the biggest ugliest antenna you can find.
LovesTheOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-May-2010, 8:23 PM   #6
teleview

Thumbs down Hoa = gulag

HOA's are GULAG'S. A GULAG is a place where the Guilty Punish the Innocent. Guilty of being Hateful Vindictive Monsters , and hiding behind rules and regulations. People that believe in the hoa way of life are sick and twisted. The name of the game is 'get' your neighbor , stick the knife in and twist it.
Old 6-May-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
eq2675

Well I guess this new commer just opened a big can of worms on this forum.

I do hope somebody would focus on my antenna needs. Let's just stick with the attic. It's huge, so what should I put there to get the signals that are 25 miles south of me?

Thank you.
Old 7-May-2010, 1:06 AM   #8
Dave Loudin

No worries. You need an antenna that covers Hi-VHF and UHF. Two brands come highly recommended: a Winegard HD7695P and an AntennaCraft HBU-33 should work in the attic. You can save a little money by mounting on the roof, as the HD7694 would do the trick there. You might need a preamp with the attic install (overcomes cable loss that might leave your reception susceptible to fades.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
eq2675

Well it works !!!!!!!!!!!!

Installed a Winegard HD7695P with Steren 221-120 Satellite Antenna Tripod Mount 3' mast in the attic. All major Atlanta stations picked up well except the educational channels, 1 in Atlanta, the other in Athens. We are about 25 miles north of downtown. Splitter to the 2nd TV knocked off an additional 1-2 bars out of 10, but all stations still good except the educational ones.

While playing around with the antenna orientation I decided to lift it as high in the air of our 10' high attic. THAT WAS THE TRICK! Signal strength went up 2-3 bars on all stations. Bought a 10' mast at Radio Shack and cut about 3' off of it. Antenna is as high as it will go in our attic and ALL stations in Atlanta pick up well. summitsource.com did an excellent job in shipping.

Free HD TV. Whoopee!!!! Thanks for all the help.
Old 21-May-2010, 5:25 PM   #10
mpmartin

I'm a few miles south of you closer to Atlanta. I've had limited success with my attic antenna (possibly due to terrain in my location). Are you using a pre-amp? How long is your cable run? Thanks.
mpmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-May-2010, 7:31 PM   #11
eq2675

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmartin View Post
I'm a few miles south of you closer to Atlanta. I've had limited success with my attic antenna (possibly due to terrain in my location). Are you using a pre-amp? How long is your cable run? Thanks.
No preamp. Cable runs are rather short. 6' to the antenna and spliter. About 25' to the great room TV and 35' to the master bedroom TV.

I did end up pointing my antenna straight to Atlanta and giving up on Channel 8. We are at about 1,000' altitude and about at the top 75% height of all homes in our neighborhood. I don't think Kennesaw Mnt gets in the way of the signals.

1 more week of testing and Comcast is out the door :-)
Old 24-May-2010, 3:00 PM   #12
mpmartin

Thanks. My cable run is a bit longer. I might try a pre-amp. I also might try that nifty tripod mount from your setup.
mpmartin is offline   Reply With Quote