TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Nov-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
oakleyhoma

FM reception

Hi all, need some help. Here is my report http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29 . This would be exterior antenna, mounted on cinder block fireplace at or near the roof peak. Two separate runs to first floor and basement, longest run probably about 34 feet. In particular, I want good reception for call signs WNCW and WETS-FM. I don't want more than one antenna: will an omnidirectional work? What coaxial cable would be best and what shielding? What do I need other than an antenna, coax, and connectors? How much better would this exterior antenna be than doing slightly longer runs to an attic antenna?

Thank you.
oakleyhoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
No static at all

An omni may work, but a directional antenna like the FM-6 mounted outside would be a better choice if those 2 stations are your main goal. Are you trying to receive the HD signal of either station?

The attic may well if the FM-6 is used, but really hard to tell without trying. You could always try the attic first & see if you can receive satisfactory results.

What tuners are you using for FM?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2013, 3:23 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

FMFool operates differently from TVFool as far as sharing your analysis. Can't just link to it, you have to work with the image of the report. See where it says "FM channels (save image)" you'll have to use that feature to share the data.

Additionally, it appears that FMFool's geo-coding functions is not working, so you you'll need to input coordinates instead.

Standard RG6 coaxial cable is almost always satisfactory for FM signal distribution except in extenuating circumstances. It is very rare that you actually NEED QS cable although it can certainly be used.

FM tends to penetrate most building signals quite well. As long as you don't have a metal roof or radiant barrier insulation, an attic would usually work well enough unless you're in a weak signal area to start with.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2013, 4:52 PM   #4
oakleyhoma

update

Sorry I'd let this languish - got really busy elsewhere.

Here is my image http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/8ebbdf2d06/getfm.php
at least I hope so. I saved it when I ran it on the lat/long for my house. So, an attic installation might work?
Old 3-Dec-2013, 4:57 PM   #5
oakleyhoma

One other note, an attic installation would be about 50 feet of coaxial, architectural asphalt shingle roof. And as for whether I'm wanting HD signals, I suppose so since the stations I most want are in HD (WCQS, WETS, WNCW).
Old 3-Dec-2013, 6:12 PM   #6
ADTech

Keep in mind that the HD component of the FM signal is -20 dBc to the main signal (unless the station applied for and received permission to increase power to the -12 dBc) level. That means for HD Radio, you need to maintain stronger signals at the receiver as opposed to standard FM radio.

Two of your named stations are moderately strong to your south, the other is to the NNE and is from 10-15 dB weaker. I have a similar situation at my home. I use our three-element FM antenna aimed at the weak signal and receive the stronger stations off the rear of the antenna. It has worked very well for my system.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 3-Dec-2013, 7:17 PM   #7
oakleyhoma

OK, and

No static mentioned an FM-6. Is that something like what it would take? And would that be exterior, not attic mount? Also, I could skip the HD radio, a decent analog signal would suit. Could I feed that signal to two locations? My "tuners" are only stock things in av receivers.
Thanks
Old 3-Dec-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
ADTech

Based on your stated goals, a much smaller antenna like our 3FM should work fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot in the attic and to use a two port splitter to share the signal between two splitters.