TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2013, 9:17 PM   #1
JefB

Attic Antenna Advice

I'd like some advice on choosing an antenna to go in my attic. Here's my signal analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6e22ecd402

I have fiberglass shingles and a big live oak tree and a big mango tree in the back yard on our NE side, but would really rather not place the antenna outside. I could place the antenna in the attic to line up with the V between the trees, but will still have some leaves to get through. From there it's clear across a small lake before hitting more trees and houses. We're not interested in the Spanish channels and I assume the 90 mile stations are not possible, so there are just the seven channels within 20 miles to the NE. I'll be attaching the cable to a Hauppage WinTV 2250 dual tv tuner. What antenna would you recommend I buy. Alternately, I see that there are several simple DIY plans around that I could build. Do they really work as well as mass produced antennas?

Thanks for your help,
Jeff
JefB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The channels that you want are all UHF, so try an Antennas Direct DB4e in your attic.

The signal attenuation caused by the attic construction can vary; you just have to try it. The leaves might not be a problem; again, you must try it.

You might need to try different locations in the attic for best results.

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Sep-2013 at 11:37 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Alternately, I see that there are several simple DIY plans around that I could build. Do they really work as well as mass produced antennas?
Yes, they really work, but some of the plans are better than others. You have to decide how valuable your DIY time VS just buying an antenna.

These plans are reliable:
http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html

If you do decide to build, be careful of the ends of the sharp whisker wires for the bowties.

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Sep-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 1-Oct-2013, 1:41 PM   #4
JefB

Thanks rabbit73, DB4e it is. - Jeff
Old 1-Oct-2013, 4:10 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Placing the antenna inside an attic behind trees will yield the following phone call 95% of the time:

Caller: "Hey, my reception is great until the wind blows or it rains. What's wrong with your antenna?"

Tech Support: "Hold please" ... goes and bangs head on wall and returns "Thank your for holding. Is the antenna behind trees?"

Caller: "Of course it is, that was the easiest spot to mount i"

Every day occurrence, multiple times a day....

Avoidable mistakes are just that, avoidable. Placing a UHF antenna behind trees rarely turns out well and it's not due to anything that the antenna does or doesn't do. Placing the antenna in the attic compounds the difficulty.

I'd strongly recommend a closer survey of your home to see if you can find a spot where a small, unobtrusive antenna may be mounted in a spot that offers a clear line of sight back towards the Ft Myer transmitters.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 1-Oct-2013 at 4:19 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Oct-2013, 7:25 PM   #6
teleview

Above the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception to the , North East , East , South East , South.

Install the DB4e antenna aimed at about 172 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim the DB4e antenna.

For Reliable and Dependable Reception , I strongly recommend install a factory made antenna.

Then you can 'Test' the construction and reception of DIY antennas , after you have Reliable and Dependable Reception with a high quality factory made antenna.

___

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , in the directions of reception , have a Negative effect on broadcast Tv reception with a Tv antenna.

The Negative effects are and not limited to.

Multi-path reflections , Tv signals bouncing off the , trees , tree leaves , plants and plant leaves.

When the vegation moves with the wind , the result is moving multi-path reflections.
Moving multi-path reflections is/are Very Bad For Reception.

The Best Pratice is to install the DB4e or any other antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

_________

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air channels' ~ 'Antenna Channel' in the Digital Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Oct-2013 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 1-Oct-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Stereocraig

A good rule of thumb may be, that if you wouldn't put your naked body against it when wet and energized, your TV may not feel much better about it, than you do.

Plastic products are more difficult to obtain and machine, but offer better electrical performance and longevity.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2013, 1:12 AM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Install the DB4e antenna aimed at about 172 degree magnetic compass direction.
Why? Wouldn't about 30 degrees be more suitable?

JefB:

ADTech and teleview are correct; outside would be better, but that isn't what you asked.

The fact that you are willing to build a DIY antenna tells me that you would be willing to experiment with your DB4e.

I suggest that you try in the attic first to see what you can get. Try the easy way first; it can be a temporary setup. If it doesn't do what you want in the attic, you can try a temporary setup outside or inside a window (no metal screen or low-e glass) that faces the transmitters.

ADTech works for the company that makes the DB4e, so he wants you to have good results. If it doesn't work in the attic, it's not the fault of the antenna, it's a poor location. The DB4e is a well designed and built antenna and Antenns Direct stands by its antennas. They aren't happy until you are. If, by some chance, your DB4e has a problem, they will work with you to fix it, which is rare for an antenna company these days.

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Oct-2013 at 1:44 AM.
Old 12-Oct-2013, 2:01 PM   #9
JefB

I have the DB4e now and will put it up soon. It does look like a well made antenna. Unfortunately, there is no place that would avoid the trees as they line the edge of the property on the NE side and are higher than the house. I'll try it in the attic and if it doesn't perform well enough there, I'll consider other options.

The stations towards 172 degrees are Spanish or limited programming so I'm not interested in them. If I could pull in the ones at 351 degrees and still get the locals at 30 degrees, that would be great. But those are 90 miles away and so, I assume, are beyond range. Is it worth trying that direction or would it just be a waste of time? It is clear of the trees that direction.

Thanks for all your help,

Jef
Old 12-Oct-2013, 5:36 PM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Reliable reception from Tampa isn't very likely. It's further complicated by having four of their main stations operating on VHF which the Db4e wasn't designed for

Since you have the DB4e on hand, do give it your best shot. Be patient and be prepared to try multiple locations for the antenna to see if you can find a spot where everything falls into place and plays nice. If you're in the attic, moving the antenna by as little as 6 inches in any direction can affect the pattern or reception, so persistence is the key. If you go outside with the antenna, my best advice, in addition to the above, is do NOT drill any holes in your house until you've found a "sweet" spot.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote