TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Apr-2011, 6:54 PM   #1
HDOAinNC

Question Raleigh - Central NC - 27606

Need help with antenna selection and settings;

Link to tvfool report : Report

So far I am using RCA Indoor Flat Antenna with Amp from Wally-mart placed on a window sill facing East.
Able to get 8 to 10 channels in total .
However I have 50% hit or miss on following channels 17 , 22 , 28 &
47 = this one is 80% miss , in the evening.

Just got Clearstream4. Planning to put into Attic on second floor.
Don,t have any tall structures (above 4 story high) around me. I have single row of tall pine tress on the East side with wide gaps between them.

Wanted to get some Expert advice on how to connect this antenna into my main feed box with my cable connection ( still paying for the Time Warner INTERNET) ?
So that rest of 4 non-HD TV can access the antenna.
HDOAinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

It's a very wide spread of Tv transmitters from 62 degrees magnetic compass to 134 degree magnetic compass. Because of the reflector screen on clearstream 4 UHF antenna , I do not believe the clearstream 4 will receive that wide of a angle. You can try the clearstream 4 pointed at about 110 degree magnetic compass. . I suggest a Winegard HD7694P antenna pointed at about 110 degree magnetic compass. And even so thats a real wide spread for the HD7694P to receive. . Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . . Read and understand about , Real Broadcast Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Broadcast Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 20-Apr-2011 at 4:54 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 1:05 AM   #3
John Candle

The antenna will be connected with/to a non amplified 4 way splitter. DO NOT have the Active cable Tv/cable internet and the antenna connected on the same coax cables at the same time. The coax that provides the cable tv/internet signal to the house must be disconnected at the house. For the internet connection you will need to run a separate coax.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Apr-2011 at 6:25 AM.
Old 20-Apr-2011, 1:11 AM   #4
John Candle

If the Non Hd Tv's do not have ATSC Digital Tuners then converter boxes will be needed. Here are converter boxes , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=380
Old 21-Apr-2011, 5:27 PM   #5
HDOAinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
The antenna will be connected with/to a non amplified 4 way splitter. DO NOT have the Active cable Tv/cable internet and the antenna connected on the same coax cables at the same time. The coax that provides the cable tv/internet signal to the house must be disconnected at the house. For the internet connection you will need to run a separate coax.
I can isolate the INTERNET cox and connect it directly to the Active Cable TV/ Internet Cable.
And put rest of the TV's on a separate splitter with the Attic Antenna.

Do I need AMP between Antenna and the splitter ?

I already have Digital Conv. Boxes.

What are the issues if I have Cable and Antenna connected together ?

Thanks for the help so far.
HDOAinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2011, 6:40 PM   #6
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

The antenna system and the cable Tv/internet system must not be connected together on the same coax at the same time. If the systems are connected together this causes interference in the two systems.The two systems must separate. The Tv signals are strong , do not use a amplifier.
Old 25-Apr-2011, 6:56 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
What are the issues if I have Cable and Antenna connected together ?
JC has already advised against any interconnection of your OTA antenna system and the CATV system. I want to back that up...

CATV systems are closed systems, which must not leak or radiate the signals. This is particularly important because CATV systems commonly use frequencies that are used for aircraft communication and navigation.

If you interconnect the CATV system with your antenna, expect a visit from the CATV company, the FCC and FAA. Have your check book ready and pack an overnight bag for your stay at a government run resort were they'll help you get your mind right. (Cool Hand Luke, 1967)

Even if you don't radiate any CATV signal, The CATV system is likely using the OTA frequencies received by your antenna. There will be mutual interference which will make the conflicting signals from both sources unwatchable. Also the OTA DTV signal format is different than the CATV DTV signal format, your tuners can typically be configured to receive one format or the other... not both at the same time.

Quote:
Do I need AMP between Antenna and the splitter ?
I agree with JC. If you are having trouble with reception in the attic, it's not due to a lack of available signal power in the air. Many if not most amplifiers will be overloaded by the powerful signals at your location. Try the antenna in the attic, if it's not working reliably, move it outside into the clear.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Apr-2011 at 7:24 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote