TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jun-2010, 3:04 PM   #1
MieleFranco

the right antenna

My parents live in a relatively rural place and since Digital TV has come out they are (not very technical) very frustrated since they cannot get many of the local channels. They have tried multiple indoor antennas to no avail - and channels come and go. I ran the signal analysis but now need to figure out what antenna they should get. Whatever they get must be easy to use as the digital box is already one step too many for them. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be best? They would be content if they could get WWLP (11 - broadcast as 22) and WGGB (40). Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (61.7 KB, 660 views)
MieleFranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2010, 6:35 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

You ran the report at 25 feet, so I'm guessing you're anticipating an attic or rooftop installation. The good news is a modest UHF-only antenna will easily pick up all the stations listed in the green zone of the table coming in at around 235 degrees azimuth. The bad news is the two channels they are interested in are not in that group, are a good 20 to 30 dB weaker, and are shadowed by terrain. I can understand needing WGGB, as it is the only ABC affiliate. I wonder about WWLP, as WVIT is shown as an NBC affiliate also and is UHF. If they would be happy with WVIT, then you could go with a UHF-only solution.

The biggest challenge is the fact that WGGB is 90 degrees in azimuth away from the group of strong stations. Antennas that have useful gain in a given direction are practically blind (deaf?) at 90 degrees away either direction. For a roof-top solution, I would recommend an Winegard 7694P and a rotator that would aim the antenna as necessary (and would pull in WWLP from a third direction).

For an attic install, you would need two antennas. For WGGB, I'd go with an Antennacraft U-4000 and for the others, I'd stick with the 7694P. Aim the 7694 at about 250 degrees in order to get both WWLP and the host of very strong stations. If WWLP is not a priority, then you could save money by getting an Antennas Direct DB2 and aim it right at the strong stations. The last thing you would need for the attic install is a JoinTenna tuned for channel 40 that will combine the two antennas. You then have one cable down to the tuner box and no rotator to worry about.

Any other recommendations?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2010, 7:05 PM   #3
MieleFranco

You are correct. I assumed that it would need to be an attic install or a rooftop install - as the antennas they have tried inside the house have not done much to improve the situation. They like WGGB because it had more local news and weather, but I am sure would be content if they were able to get all of the channels in the green zone and WGGB. So do you think the Winegard 7694P and a rotator would do the trick?
thanks for your help.
Old 14-Jun-2010, 8:01 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

The 7694 should work. The worrisome part is the path from WGGB - 2-edge. Having to bend over an obstruction twice adds a lot of randomness, but the predicted NM is still in the 20s. The 7694's gain (about 12 dBi at ch. 40) should be enough to protect against pertubations without having to get a preamp. The next step up adds at least 20 dollars and maybe 2 dB - not worth it.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2010, 8:38 PM   #5
MieleFranco

Thanks - I will give it a try and see what happens.
Old 19-Jun-2010, 3:49 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I am right next door in Springfield, and know the issues well: If you upgrade to a Winegard HD-7696P and a rotator like the Channel Master 9521a, you'll have no problems with either the Springfield stations or the Hartford-New Haven stations. An HD-7696P will allow you to see WTNH from New Haven, an ABC station. Be wary of using a preamplifier, however, as WSHM, the low-power CBS affiliate in Springfield is building a new digital transmitter on Minnechaug Mountain just 2-3 miles from your house: using a preamp could cause overloading of the preamp or your TV tuners.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote