TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jan-2014, 6:07 PM   #1
rykoh

Picking up only some adjacent transmitter signals

Hello,

I recently installed an RCA ANT751 antenna on the roof above the chimney, about 25' above the ground. We are about 15 miles away from the ridge which holds 5 tv station transmitters. I am easily able to pick up 3 of the 5 stations (3, 18, and 30), while not getting 2 of them (17 and 36). I have tried moving the antenna and re-directing it without getting the other two stations. What's even more odd to me is that 17 and 18 are almost the exact same location and transmitting power, but I can only get one of them. Any thoughts on what I might do to get the other two stations? Would an inline amplifier (like the RCA one) help?

Here's the TV fool report for my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9497da086188

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
rykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 6:19 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Rykoh,

My first reading of your situation is that the ANT751 is probably not enough antenna for you. You have all 2-edge conditions which is not your current antenna's strength. The little antenna is best within 30 miles and line of sight. You only meet one criteria.

I suggest upgrading to a more robust antenna situation. You further have a complicating situation in that WBRA PBS real channel (RF) 3 is a low-VHF signal. Low-VHF operates on real channels 2-6, high-VHF operates on channels 7-13 and UHF is 14 and above. You also have ABC WSET on RF channel 13.

You have low-VHF, high-VHF and UHF signals present. This calls for a two antenna system to work against the 2-edge signal situation.

If I were installing this for maximum success, I'd I install an Antennas Direct DB8 for UHF coverage orientated to magnetic 109. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=db8. This antenna would provide FOX, CBS, ION and NBC. This is a recommended design in 2-edge conditions due to its wide surface area of reception. I would then install a second antenna in a Antenna Craft C490.http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nna-%28c490%29 Orientate second antenna to magnetic heading 91. This antenna will provide ABC and PBS.

NOTE: the choice of the C490 is purely for it's VHF (high and low) reception capabilities. You will not be receiving UHF from this antenna.

Install 10' pole on existing chimney Mount. Put DB8 mounted on top. Mount Antenna Craft C490 four feet below.

Purchase an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=044476071669. Input DB8 coax into UHF input. Input C490 coax into VHF input. Run single coax down into home and/or to splitter. Install preamp power supply at end of coax run into home before you do any splitting. Make sure preamp is set to "separate" on switch below inputs (located just below coaxial inputs under the rubber gasket).

Question: how long is your coaxial run? How many TVs are you splitting to?

To recap, signals received by each antenna:
DB8: FOX, NBC, ION, CBS
C490: PBS, ABC

NOTE: ABC is extremely weak. Out of all signals, this one may have occasional drop outs. With the C490 though, you have a reasonable chance at reception.

I really hate to blow up people's systems, but in your case, the above recommendation is likely to yield you most of the major affiliates in reliable fashion. ABC you just have to get it in the air and see how good it is since it's on that razors edge of weakness.

Regards.

PS: There is a chance that reception could worsen from the ANT751. This would be because of the preamp and signal overloading of your TV tuner due to WBRA. If this happens. Remove preamp and retest. You may have to swap out the preamp for a combiner and run with no preamp, but let's try the preamp first. I have a TVPRAMP1R and it tolerates stronger signals well while working with the weaker ones. You'll be pointing at the stronger signal though, which will be a wildcard.

Last edited by StephanieS; 21-Jan-2014 at 6:33 AM. Reason: typo
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
rykoh

Thank you, StephanieS. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I will follow your advice and see if I can improve our reception.

Thanks again!
rykoh is offline   Reply With Quote