TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Aug-2012, 4:49 PM   #1
jc5000

Reception Problem

About 4 months ago, I installed an antenna in my attic. it is connected through a multiplexer that feeds multiple jacks throughout the house. I have been getting near flawless reception for more than 70 channels for months.

Just recently, I have lost a lot of the ABC Channel 13 signal. All other channels are still near perfect. No modifications or additions have been made. It is still the same TV. I went ahead and rescanned the channels but this did not help. Any idea what could be causing this selective interference all of a sudden?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99004599c16e78
jc5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2012, 5:21 PM   #2
signals unlimited

Your problem could be FM interference. Install an FM trap at the antenna.

You can purchase on line at www.solidsignal.com

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 3-Aug-2012 at 5:42 PM. Reason: repaired link
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2012, 5:41 PM   #3
No static at all

The signal path for that channel may have changed due to some type of multipath interference. I recommend relocating/re-aiming the antenna to see if this helps.

You can also try bypassing the splitter & run the cable to just one outlet & see if that improves reliability. You may need a distribution amplifier if running to 1 set solves the problem.

Could be FM, but I doubt it. The only channel I see in danger of FM interfernce in your area would be 8. The second harmonic from KPFT falls right on top of channel 8's frequency. No harmonics fall on 13 that I see.

Last edited by No static at all; 3-Aug-2012 at 5:53 PM.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2012, 5:43 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Radio Shack and Antennas Direct also offer an FM trap:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=10939219
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...on_filter.html

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 3-Aug-2012 at 5:46 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2012, 7:07 PM   #5
signals unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
The signal path for that channel may have changed due to some type of multipath interference. I recommend relocating/re-aiming the antenna to see if this helps.

You can also try bypassing the splitter & run the cable to just one outlet & see if that improves reliability. You may need a distribution amplifier if running to 1 set solves the problem.

Could be FM, but I doubt it. The only channel I see in danger of FM interfernce in your area would be 8. The second harmonic from KPFT falls right on top of channel 8's frequency. No harmonics fall on 13 that I see.
Recently I have discovered that FM interference is not only on the harmonics of the FM, but can be a product of the TV channel and the FM station's frequency combined forming an interfering frequency other than a harmonic of the FM carrier . For that reason I always recommend trying a trap when there is a VHF channel loss. This may or may not be your problem, but it's an easy process of elimination.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2012, 1:11 PM   #6
jc5000

I went to get the FM trap. Before I could install it, the signal went back to normal with me doing absolutely nothing. This was after about 3 days of reduced signal.

I do not understand it. Are these DTV signals flaky like this?
jc5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Aug-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
teleview

Tv Reception.

Most likely the Tv station was doing repairs or some type of changes to the transmitting antenna or tower , so the transmitting power was reduced for the repairs and etc. .